• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle question

fatotto

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing u joints in front axles and wondering if anyone know a trick for getting the shaft in the seal without banging around the tubes. Will I be able to hold it steady enough.:confused:

hmm, I usually just slide them in and rotate at I go. Just don't ram them home and you should be fine. Could you do us a favor and post what year you have and style of D30? the more info you have on your rig the more it is of a help to us. Do you have disconnect or non disconnect?

The seals are "funneled" for lack of a better term and will guide the shaft back in but like others have said, don't ram them in! The trick is getting them in without dragging dirt into the diff!

Put one hand right up to the inner 'c' of the axle, and use that to support the shaft as you guide it in place with your other hand. If you have the unit bearing in place, the added weight makes an excellent counter-balance. Don't drag the splines along the tube (top or bottom) and you'll be fine.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Put one hand right up to the inner 'c' of the axle, and use that to support the shaft as you guide it in place with your other hand. If you have the unit bearing in place, the added weight makes an excellent counter-balance. Don't drag the splines along the tube (top or bottom) and you'll be fine.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yeah thats what I do works everytime....

Nick

OK then, sounds like a plan. I will have a cold one to steady the hands before I attempt. Still working on those annoying u joints, so much fun and rust. Thanks for your help.

2000 xj 4.0

Back