• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Crank - Have Searched

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, I did my searching on No Crank situations. Came up with two possible culprits, the NSS or Starter. I tried jumping the B&C terminals on the NSS like one post said, still nothing. I tried smacking the starter with a rubber mallet, still nothing. I tried jumping the terminals on the starter solenoid, they spark, but still nothing.

So, what happens is that I turn the key to on, all lights/guages work, fuel pump primes, etc. I turn to start and the starter relay clicks, but absolutely nothing else. Battery is fully charged.

Any ideas? The jeep was starting up just fine until now when I tried and nothing. I've checked grounds, relays, fuses, still nothing.

I have not had started problems (yet) on my 1998 Jeep. The last time I did it was on a Chevy. That old Chevy I was able to use a screwdriver and short two contact on the starter to engage it, bypassing the key, wiring etc...

Failing that ability, I would remove the starter, take it to a autoparts place and have it tested.

yeah, I'm going to take off the starter and take it to Autozone to test it. Hopefully it's just that and I can grab a used one from the junkyard. I figured there would be some sort of sign that a starter is going bad instead of out of the blue just not working. I jumped the terminals on it though, and nothing, so I guess it's got be something with the starter.

Mine is a 98 also, AW4, 172k miles.

Yep, it's your starter. If you take it out, you can use jumper cables to test the motor. Put the ground on one of the mounting tabs and the + on the post going into the starter itself, not the post the battery cable hooks to. If the motor spins, then likely the solenoid is bad. Be careful, if it does, it will torque right out of your hands so make sure you got a good grip on it.

yeah, I'm going to take off the starter and take it to Autozone to test it. Hopefully it's just that and I can grab a used one from the junkyard. I figured there would be some sort of sign that a starter is going bad instead of out of the blue just not working. I jumped the terminals on it though, and nothing, so I guess it's got be something with the starter.

Mine is a 98 also, AW4, 172k miles.

You may have your reasons "$$$" for getting a starter from the junkyard, but I would get a new one. I personally wouldn't want to be stuck some where, or have to change it out again before another 175k miles.

I would NOT buy it from Autozone. My son bought 5 starters from Autozone before he finally got his money back and bought one from Oreillys.

I've heard several people having the same problem with Autozone.

thanks. So it's common for a starter to just out of the blue not work?

Sure, Stuff happens. I agree with Mudd though. Remans are not that expensive and more reliable than a jy find. I bought a Bosch reman at Pepboys like 2 years ago and it's still good. YMMV.

dude i had the exact same prob yesterday the only thing i could come up with was the connections were f-ed up on the starter as i did check everything u did relays,ign. sw,jumped with screwdriver and only got spark,so i took the starter out and when i hooked it up to the jumper cables everything was working so i cleaned all the seating surfaces with emory cloth and reassembled and voila problem solved

I'm glad to hear that yours worked after cleaning it up. I'm going to take it off today and clean it up. When you hook it up with the jumper cables, which terminals do you connect to?

well, I took the starter out, cleaned it up nice as it was nasty, covered in oil, had sand and water in with the gear (from the last time in the swamp!). I tested it on the battery worked fine and reinstalled it. At first it still didn't work. Then I went down and jumped the terminals with a screwdriver and it started up. Shut it down and it starts up fine now with the key.

A pain in the butt and 2 hours later, but at least it's working!

congrats did u take the solenoid apart too? its weird how jumping it w/ a screwdriver wouldnt work but once its out it works with jumper cables one thing i didnt do and didnt think of till i had it back in was,cleaning the mating surfaces where it bolts up to provide a decent ground but well see...arent you glad you didnt run out and buy a starter like i almost did

ha, yeah, glad I didn't buy one. I tried taking the solenoid apart, but the screws were stripping, so I didn't.

I know the starter has a little went that goes into the chamber with the gear. Is it possible to close that up, or does the starter need it. I just don't want to keep getting sand and water in there. It had a good coating of sand in there when I took it out.

Something was stuck. A screwdriver will allow more current to flow through it than the OEM wiring, at least that is my theory.

It will either happen again soon, or you'll be good until something goes out.

Hey I should be in politics. I just covered just about every possibility! lol

Seems like something was just stuck. First thing I do when the starter is suspect is hit it with a hammer a few times. NOT a rubber mallet but a REAL hammer. Then if nothing then I check for power to the exciter wire when turning the key. If I have that then I try jumping the solenoid. That usually narrows it down pretty quickly.

Mine did the same thing. Wouldn't run even jumped with a screwed driver. I pulled it it ran just fine with jumper cables on the ground. Cleaned it up with some super-clean (it was soaked with oil). Put it back in and its still working 6-months later. Shrug.

Back