• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very low oil pressure and smoke?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy just called me asking what is wrong with his jeep... without seeing it I can only guess but from what he said, it was just idling outside when he came back to it and noticed the exhaust was smoky. He checked the pressure gauge (not idiot light) and it shows very low pressure compared to what it normally showed. Any ideas as to what his problem is?

Thanks guys,
Mark

It's a 92 or a 93. It's got a lotta km's on it... I think 396000km.

It maybe a head gasket... I'll ask him to check for coolant in the oil.

It would be helpful to get some specific oil pressure numbers. Also, check oil level. Check for evidence of coolant in the oil. Check coolant level......the devil is in the details.

He said normally his Jeep's oil pressure is in the middle of the gauge (I don't recall what all the incremements are on the factory gauge) and it dropped to less then the first mark on the gauge. That's about as specific as I can get right now without seeing the Jeep myself.

Back