• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Install

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
Im about to put a new motor in my Cherokee, for the ones that have done it is it easier to install it with or with out the manifolds?

Thanks
Kenny

did u take the old one out w/ manifolds? if so was it a PITA im sure it will be harder to install motor mounts but really i have no clue someone should chime in and let ya know

if you have a lift (which I am hoping you do if your doing this) I would suggest putting the manifolds on before you drop it in.
they are gonna be a major PITA to tighten and especially torque down once the engine is in the bay.
when I replaced my head gasket last year, I took the manifolds off while the head was on the block... putting it back on I dealt with the added weight and put them on before I put the head back on... much easier.

I did exhaust gaskets a few month back and all the bolts were ok but for one. But I agree it would be alot eaiser to bolt it all on the engine stand

the last time I put my engine in without the head. bolted the manifolds up on a bench, then put the head on. It was much easier than the other times that I have either replaced the manifolds or swapped motors.

If the head is off, leave it off. Drop the short block in place, attach the manifolds to the head outside of the engine bay, and drop the head in as an assembly. Have help to drop the head on if you need it - the head assy comes to around 80-90# or so.

If the head is already on the block, it's time to do some thinking. The lower rear manifold screws are a bastard to get to, although some 6" extensions and a 9/16" "flex" socket (inbuilt universal joint) makes them a bit easier to get to. Still, that gasket is easier to service on the bench than on the engine - so think about it. Since I'd go through a used engine anyhow, it's a moot point for me - the head would already be off. But, it's something that should be considered...

second thought, if you put the head on after the motor is already in the bay, have the back two head bolts already hanging in the head, otherwise they are a pita to get into the holes.

second thought, if you put the head on after the motor is already in the bay, have the back two head bolts already hanging in the head, otherwise they are a pita to get into the holes.

best advice I've seen in ages!!!!:yelclap: As for manifold install, I'd service head and manifolds as an assembly-- much easier to set them in together and torque head afterward. If the head is already on the block, I would still install manifolds outside of the vehicle, but it's closer to a crap-shoot if it's any easier at that point-- I'd just prefer to get torque wrench on them out of the vehicle and then fight harder to get everything in knowing it's done right.

When I replaced my motor last year I put it back in as a complete unit including the serpintine belt if I recall correctly. Was not to bad since I had my friend here to help. We got it installed and cranked over in about an hour once we got it all together.

I currently have to replace the exhaust manifold on another one of my jeep and I am NOT looking forward to it being installed in the rig. Atleast I will be removing the brake booster which should give me some extra room.

Good luck.

Lata

Back