• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Changed, but no crank now?

k.smith904

NAXJA Forum User
Just changed out my CPS, which was a pain in my ass by the way, and went to crank it and got nothing. Before I changed it, it tried to crank and turn over, but just didn't fire up. Is there something i have to do with the ECU to reset the CPS or something? What am I missing?

Well i have an 89, mine is located under the dash on the right hand side of the steering column its mounted sideways. about 6" down from the clock. behind the lower dash peice.

how the hell did you manage to unplug the ecu? I can barely reach my fingers to the wiring, let alone see the connector and unplug it. Is there a way to remove the ECU from the mount so I can pull it down and see what I'm doing? It feels like its mounted to something but I can't find where...

how the hell did you manage to unplug the ecu? I can barely reach my fingers to the wiring, let alone see the connector and unplug it. Is there a way to remove the ECU from the mount so I can pull it down and see what I'm doing? It feels like its mounted to something but I can't find where...
unbolt the Bracket from the dash. pull it down and unplug. I know exactly what your thinking. i was about ready to give up and just punch the windshield but i bit my tongue and just did that last (no chance in hell this will work) step. and sure enough, son of a bitch. it fired right up:smsoap:

unbolt the Bracket from the dash. pull it down and unplug. I know exactly what your thinking. i was about ready to give up and just punch the windshield but i bit my tongue and just did that last (no chance in hell this will work) step. and sure enough, son of a bitch. it fired right up:smsoap:

hah, alright thanks.

ok I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and I still got nothing. I realized by battery was dead so I got my friend to come give me a jump. It was trying to start while it was being jumped, but didnt. Disconnected the jumper cables and tried to start it on my own and heard the click click click sound like my battery is dead. However, when I turn the key to the "ignition on" position, everything comes on. Dash lights, headlights, cabin light, radio, etc. What does this mean?

ok I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and I still got nothing. I realized by battery was dead so I got my friend to come give me a jump. It was trying to start while it was being jumped, but didnt. Disconnected the jumper cables and tried to start it on my own and heard the click click click sound like my battery is dead. However, when I turn the key to the "ignition on" position, everything comes on. Dash lights, headlights, cabin light, radio, etc. What does this mean?
clean the battery terminals. tighten the cables. try jumping again.

The CPS is the only sensor (IIRC) that will stop the ECU from signaling the coil.

Check your Fuel/Spark/Air

well got the battery charged enough to try to start on its own. The engine turns over but it won't fire. I'm off to get some new spark plugs to see if that does the trick. Any brand you would recommend?

i would go with some cheap NGK's did you test spark? are you getting spark at the coil?

i've had good luck with split-fire plugs but i doubt thats why your jeep isn't starting, pull a couple of your plugs and see what they look like before you go buying things you don't need. I would check spark first then fuel pressure, then let us know.

What year is your xj? I had a 92 xj that had a bent camshaft position sensor. (located in distributor housing) started right up after it got fixed.

Back