• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny return line Location

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Which line is the tranny return line? The one that goes to the top or bottom of the cooler? Do I simply unscrew that line in order to disconnect it? I'm planning on doing a "poor man's" tranny flush.

The forward line on the tranny is the pressure line, which should go to the upper fitting on the radiator although it may go through a cooler first.

Removing the radiator side usually involves pressing the ears together and pulling the line out, but there are different fittings and they often clog up with gunk. A can of WD-40 with the red straw will spray them out nicely

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I jacked mine up, and undid the one going to the rear of the transmission, and stuck it in a bucket for my poor man's flush.

It was easier than messing with a coolor or the radiator.

hmm...good idea about just disconnecting it from the tranny. How does the hose disconnect?

It looks like this:

P1010158.jpg

P1010157.jpg

P1010156.jpg

It's called a quick disconnect. The yellow tabs keep it in the huge nut on the transmission, the other tabs keep the line in the disconnect. You can usually remove it easily with a quick disconnect tool.

When I did my poor man's flush, I wanted to replace the quick disconnect so I got some of these:
IMG_0878.jpg

But they wouldn't hold worth a shit, the line would just fall out, so I think the quick disconnect is a dealer only item. A lot of people recommend replacing them, and there is a good write-up of how to do that on Stu's Offroad. It's the article about swapping an AW4 into his TJ. Here is the second page, you can see things very clearly: http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-2.htm

Wow, when I first did it, I couldn't figure out why the replacement disconnect woudn't work, but now I see that it wouldn't stay in there because the yellow tabs aren't there to hold it in the nut. Learn something new everyday!

Last edited:
Back