• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA smog questions

Rockslut

NAXJA Forum User
I just smogged my 95 XJ. It has a 4.0 short block with ~89k. Rebuilt 7120 head, all new ignition components, 2000 intake with throttle body spacer. Has a stock airbox with K&N, and a flowmaster muffler. Jeep runs good but I have always wanted more power.

Looking at the results of the smog I was suprised. The jeep barely passed. The HC and NO were both high. I do not have a check engine light. I guess a new O2 sensor would not hurt but is that my only issue?

I am only concerned because I will be doing a stroker in the future and I am concerned about passing smog in the future.

I think that high NO can be a bad catalytic converter. When was the last time it was replaced...if ever?

High HC and NOx are usually indicators of a failed (or failing) catalytic converter. I'd suggest replacing it - check to see if you have a "downstream" HEGO sensor (oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter.) You can use a "universal" job for less than $100 - if you have the HEGO bung, have one welded into the pipe after the cat, or find a universal with one in the tailend of the thing. If you don't have the downstream HEGO, just get a universal and drop it in.

If you had high HC due to injector troubles, you woudn't have high NOx alongside it - NOx gets elevated when you run lean, not rich. Contrariwise - if high NOx were due to injector trouble (running lean,) your HC would be damned near zero. Thus, the converter (it's job is to reduce both HC and NOx.)

I will plan on a new converter in the future. I do not have a downstream O2 sensor. I plan on new injectors but want to hold off until after the stroker, so I only do it once.

Back