• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

baja claws and mtr's

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i got a 91 xj. i have 33 procomp mud terrains....they suck. i hate them.
i wanna run 35's. i have the clearance and a 44 in the rear with a detroit and the front im gonna keep open till i get chromos.
ive been to the rubicon once and local trails/parks a bunch of times and im ready to throw some bigger meats under it.
i wanna get mtr's but they are kinda expensive compared to the claws.
how are claws in rock? like rubicon rock?
thanks
-Shomsky

oh btw: i have 4.88's and rear detroit

MTRs are awesome. Be patient and keep looking here, Pirate4x4, craigslist, etc and you should find a set of 35's. Until then have fun with your 33's, they will get you by. I had 33" Pro Comp Muds on my old 91' YJ with stock 3.07 gears (YUKE) and didn't like them either, but for the price they aren't bad (buy 3, get 1 free at 4 wheel parts). Figure you should get some $ back for your 33's so you will have to pay a little more for your 35" MTRs.

My brother-in-law had Baja Claws bias ply and didn't like them. Then again he never took his rig off road, but bias ply suck anyways on the street. Stick with MTRs if you do infact get different tires.

How much lift are you running again? Your rig looks good with 33's Ryan. The 35's will eat up your nice acceleration you are enjoying with the 4.88

Since the claws are directional that could be somewhat troublesome if you carry a spare because based on what side it is on, it could be pointing in the wrong direction. Some people run their Claws or Pro Comp XTs in the opposite direction to get the tire rock grab effect. MTRs are my favorite tires, plus you can even get them at Sam's Club/Wal Mart for a reasonable price so it's hard not to go with them. They are also much better on the street then Claws, and since this is your dd/wheeler I definately think you should go with the MTRs.

Last edited:
yeah i have like 6.5" lift but i hacked the crap out my fenders.
i like 35's not 33's. more clearance

Shomsky462 said:
yeah i have like 6.5" lift but i hacked the crap out my fenders.
i like 35's not 33's. more clearance

I'm so tempted to take the PCs off your hands for my dd 98' 5 speed, but with 3.07 gears and being my dd and being low on funds with 2 houses at the moment...I'll have to pass. I'm sure you'll sell the PCs fast here and/or on Pirate or Craigslist. Good luck Ryan. :D

6.5" lift is plenty for 35's, lots for 33's. How you liking your XJ with your 4.88 gears and the locked 44 in the back. :) I'm sure the fun level is way up from what it was before right? I'm still have to work on getting the brake line fixed from the 44 donor XJ I have, I just haven't had the time to work on the 87' to sell it. Lucky it hasn't been stolen yet sitting on the street, unlike my 98' that I thankfully was able to get back minus the tires/rims/floor mats/steering wheel cover. ;-)

Last edited:
I just sold some MT/Rs for new Claws and the claws (onroad) are not as friendly, they vibrate the entire Jeep when coming to a stop, lol and these are 31s, my MT/Rs were 35s.

yeah im lovin my new gears and locker. they are awesome!!
i think what i am going to do is just buy some 35 mt/r's. get two pairs of 2 1/2 inch wheel spacers and get a 35" spare but use a 33" for the mean time while im getting a spare.

i wanna leave the front diff open with the 35's until i can afford chromos in front and a lock rite.

i need to get long arms and i dont know when i should get them.
i was thinkin maybe get them after i get 4 35" mt/r's then buy a spare then chromos then locker.

since my birthday is on the 9th of oct. maybe ill get a little help with the financial part but we'll see i guess.

how much do you think i could get for 4 33" procomps with about 75% tread?

ZachMan said:
I just sold some MT/Rs for new Claws and the claws (onroad) are not as friendly, they vibrate the entire Jeep when coming to a stop, lol and these are 31s, my MT/Rs were 35s.

i noticed this for xterrains too. they vibrate a ton when coming to a stop, after they are worn in a bit. side note...

Back