• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering leak + smoking engine

OK, so my power steering bearings have gone bad, and the whole p/s motor is shot. Fun stuff. Figured out that's what that godawful noise was coming from my engine.

Now, I can still drive the Jeep, but the noise is getting worse, and I was advised to put regular motor oil in the power steering reservoir as a holdover until they can install the new p/s unit on Thurs afternoon.

Is that dangerous to do? I mean, will it mess anything up? They only suggested it as I have a leak in my power steering and it's quite low.

Should I get some motor oil or more p/s fluid, or just weather it out till thurs?

I am a little concerned b/c I've got a small amount of smoke coming out the engine on the driver's side in the rear. Don't know what that could be from, and it only does it a few times at idle at a stop light. I only noticed it this evening. The engine smells hot when I turn the car off but the gauges aren't in the red at all and there's no Check Engine light on, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

But I wanted to ask it on here b/c I have to drive it to school tomorrow, Wed, and Thurs (~4 miles both ways) and I also need to put some gas in it probably tomorrow so while I'm at the station, I was gonna get either the p/s fluid or the oil...

What should I do?

**Forgot to mention that Tarheel 4wd can get me a replacement power steering unit for $386 total...that includes tax and labor charges...is that a reasonable amount to pay or should I try to find something else?

Last edited:
The smoke, I'm guessing, is from PS fluid making it's way onto the exhaust. I would also not use motor oil where it is not called for.

As for cost- call your local parts store and find out how much a remanufactured PS pump costs. Swapping the pump can take a few hours the first time, and it can be a slight PITA (much easier if you have access a torque wrench and a Krikit). Figure out what's it worth to you, and go from there?

yea that price seems a bit on the high side. (the 300+ one) I'm sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere. If your up to tackling it yourself its not too bad of a job just get someone to give ya a hand cos the thing is a lot heavier than ya think. For what its worth we replaced my bros with a junkyard one for about 20 bucks or so? another option to maybe consider

yeah I was actually thinking of that (junkyard option) b/c my friend and I are supposed to go back to the pull a part to get a rear hitch and maybe we can find a power steering box while we're at it. Only thing is, I don't know how universal they are, and the newest xj they have is a pre-97.

Only problem is, I wouldn't be doing it myself, so unless my friend can do it, I'll prolly just end up paying someone at a shop to install it for me.

They are a little difficult on the XJ, mostly because of the way that the reservoir mounts up which is confusing and tedious rather than hard. It's also real easy to break the reservoir. You also need a special pulley puller. Other than that it's pretty simple as far as these things go. If you can find one at the yard then practice taking it off. If it comes off in one piece you've learned how to do it. If it breaks, oh well, leave it there.

What year is your jeep? 91-95 and 96-01 are the HO series years.

Is it the pump and box or just the pump?

yea i dont know the interchangeability, but they look very similar to the eye. as for swapping it out, we just took a hacksaw the the JY, and cut the drag link so we didnt have to pull the pitman arm. Then when we put it in, we just left the pitman arm from the JY on the new/used steering box and put it in that way, left out the guesswork of re-aligning the pitman arm and all.

If it's a '99 then any 96+ will work.

I doubt the reservoir is leaking but since they are so tedious to remove and so easy to break I usually get the pump plus reservoir.

If you decide to do this yourself, most important advice I can give is to borrow the two-jaw pulley puller from Advance (the three-jaw puller they loan out at Autozone WILL NOT work), and attach it to the inner hub/lip of the pulley (if you grab the outside lip you'll warp the pulley).

Last edited:
If it's a '99 then any 96+ will work.

I doubt the reservoir is leaking but since they are so tedious to remove and so easy to break I usually get the pump plus reservoir.

If you decide to do this yourself, most important advice I can give is to borrow the two-jaw pulley puller from Advance (the three-jaw puller they loan out at Autozone WILL NOT work), and attach it to the inner hub/lip of the pulley (if you grab the outside lip you'll warp the pulley).
I used a pulley puller, http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/pspump/pspulley-1.htm . quick and easy. the steering box can be a snot sometimes

Try a can of Lucas power steering stop leak.....worked on my 88. Its thick like honey. My 90 caught on fire once from a power steering leak.

Try a can of Lucas power steering stop leak.....worked on my 88. Its thick like honey. My 90 caught on fire once from a power steering leak.

Hmm where can I get one of them from? Advance Auto or Autozone?

either or.....lucas is a pretty popular brand. and like everyone else is saying...dont use motor oil. atf or p/s fluid only....yadda yadda yadda.

ATF? automatic trans fluid?

Well it may be a moot point anyway because my power steering went out on my way to class this morning, followed by more smoke from my engine, so I limped back home and drove my dad's Jeep to class.

However, I'm wondering if it would help at all if I filled it up with p/s fluid. I mean, it can't make it worse, right?

Back