• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer on 97 GCL Question.

craiger28

NAXJA Forum User
OK If I put a ECU/Computer on my Jeep without disconnecting the battery even though the battery is pretty much dead will that have an effect on the computer or Jeep?

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Don't take chances with electronics, disconnect the battery before installation. I would also, once the battery is disconnected, touch the two leads together AFTER THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED. What you want to do is discharge any residual charges left in any of the capacitors in the system. I would also keep some bare skin touching the body or use a ground strap, this will eliminate any static electricity. Hey, I worked for many years as an electronics tech so I take no chances. While it does not apply here the one time I took a shortcut I got hit with a 50,000v plate voltage from a ceramic tetrode in a high power RF amplifier that blew me across a compartment and broke the ribs of an ensign that was 'supervising' me over my shoulder, however he did make a nice catchers mitt for me :D :D :D

you don't need to disconnect the battery. I've been messing around with my computer a lot lately because I had to replace it, etc. Unplugged and plugged it back in so many times, no problems.

Back