• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving with just front d-shaft in?

DanHfmn

NAXJA Forum User
Couldn't find anything with Search so I'll just ask...

I'm assuming it's ok to drive normally with just the front d-shaft inplace and the jeep in 4wd? (70mph?)

Reasoning - getting the rear shaft rebalanced and might take a day or two.

It can be done, but expect some squirrelly behavior. Stay off the gas in corners, especially tight corner. It'll bunny-hop left & right something fierce.

You don't say what year. 96 and earlier, if you've got a stock transfer case, you'll need to plug the tail cone to keep from losing all of the oil.

It's been done. It's not ideal. It will work. I duno about doing 70 with just the front shaft though.....that's kinda sketchy.

If you have a front locker, it will suck more. I've limped around with just the front shaft, but I have detroits f&r...and trying to negitiate long curvy corners in front wheel drive with a locker is a challenge to say the leads. I think the fastest I went was maybe 40-45 mph....in a straight line.

So yes it can be done although I wouldn't recommend going 70 mph, and I'd try not to drive too much like that.

if its going to take them a day or two to balance a drive shaft take it somewhere else. it shouldnt take more than a half hour tops.

Thanks guys, I'll probably keep it slow if I have to do it. The reason it'll take a day or two is because of backlog, they're the best shop around for d-shaft work.

Seriously, if you can set up an appointment (even if it does cost you an extra couple of buck,) pull the driveshaft in the parking lot.

You might be able to throw the front shaft in the rear and use that while you wait...

Actually, that depends greatly on the drivetrain in total.

If it's a completely stock drivetrain, there's no way it will work. The rear driveshaft is a simple shaft, single u-joint on each end, and a slip-shaft at the transfer case end. The front driveshaft has a slip-shaft in the middle, and a constant velocity type u-joint at the transfer case end.

If he's got an SYE, and the right axles, he can use the front d/s. As noted, the front driveshaft is a bit weaker than the rear.

It would probably help quite a bit if Dan would post up his rig & drivetrain mods.

Come on, the rear one is over twice as long.
Do you have an SYE? I think we all assumed you did, since most people here wouldn't pay to have a stock rear driveshaft rebalanced.

Some engine/trans/axle configurations allow you to use a front driveshaft in the rear position if you have an SYE. I currently have a stock front shaft serving as my rear driveshaft. (6cyl, AW4 trans, 231tcase, 8.25 axle, AA sye)

Yes it could be done. I have done it before. 70 MPH???? My advice? 'DO NOT'. The XJ /s were not designed to operate on just the front axle like a front wheel drive car. The handling is all wrong and extremly scarry. Speeeds inthe excess of 40 MPH, cornering at what we consider normal speed, trying to take off too fast will cause the XJ to veer to the left or right with no warning.

Make certain the TC (Transfer Case) out put is sealed. Ther is an oil pump in the back of the TC that will make short work of removing the oil. The tail shaft of the '96 onwards prevents this from happening.

Sorry guys, everything is stock here...

2001, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, newly installed 8.25" rear, D30 front, open front/rear.

Little background, I'm getting some strong vibes around 40mph, and then above 70 when I'm on the gas it's vibing & making a howling noise.

I haven't determined if it's the shaft, or something in the rear.

Okay, that's some GOOD info.

If that's a 2001 transfer case, I don't think you need to seal the tail cone if you have to drive it without a rear d/s. You also won't be able to use your front driveshaft in place of the rear (as noted above.)

You say newly install 8.25 rear axle. Did you just transplant the entire assembly, or was it regeared as well?

It's a transplant, the D35 that was in there died. Pinion bearing/wheel bearings/ect. Local shops wanted $100's to do the pinion bearing and I wasn't about to drop anything like that on a D35.

It's an 8.25 out of a mid 90's I believe, 60k miles on it or so. So far no issues but these vibes.

I'm going to probably get the d-shaft shortened 1" to match the stock specs on the aw4/8.25 setup, but not sure if that will clear up the vibes.

It's a transplant, the D35 that was in there died. Pinion bearing/wheel bearings/ect. Local shops wanted $100's to do the pinion bearing and I wasn't about to drop anything like that on a D35.

It's an 8.25 out of a mid 90's I believe, 60k miles on it or so. So far no issues but these vibes.

I'm going to probably get the d-shaft shortened 1" to match the stock specs on the aw4/8.25 setup, but not sure if that will clear up the vibes.

It may have been bad DS ujoints that took out the pinion...who knows?! I would just grab a stock rear shaft from another XJ that came with an 8.25 around your year...cheaper than having yours shortened!!

Could be...but I'd swapped them out last fall when I got the jeep. The pinion was making noise when I bought it too...

I wish I could find a stock driveshaft period, I'd like to keep mine as is incase I ever go back to d35. No luck finding one for under $125 though.

As for driving with only the front shaft, you will be OK. I did it for over a week on my 2000 TJ with no ill effects. And I have a rear shaft available. I'll PM you.

Back