• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injector O ring question.

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
**First off, this is my daily driver. I understand that there are injectors I can order online, and improve performance with 5.0 injectors and all that jazz, but I dont have a few days to waste on that. I have work at 3pm today.**

I have a leak at the manifold on my #3 injector, and a leak at the upper part of #5 and 6. (Injector body is not leaking)

Autozone has a pack of 6 o rings in a kit. Can I just get 2 sets of o rings, one set for the bottom and one set for the top? Are the tops and bottoms the same size??

88 4.0

Thanks.

I am pretty sure the o-rings were different on my '90.

According to this article Link: They are different in the kit.

They may be interchangable but I don't think I would risk it for something in the fuel system. I would think that a dealer would have these on hand. It might cost you a little more but it would get you fixed in a hurry.

I am pretty sure the o-rings were different on my '90.

According to this article Link: They are different in the kit.

They may be interchangable but I don't think I would risk it for something in the fuel system. I would think that a dealer would have these on hand. It might cost you a little more but it would get you fixed in a hurry.

They are not interchangeable. The black o rings that go on the injector side are too large in diameter to fit into the engine where the brown o rings go. Follow this article and you will have no problems at all.

Last edited:
Another thing that I might as well point out is that you may want to soak the orings in fuel for 10-15 min prior to trying to put them on. This will soften them up, making them less likely to get a tear, and make them easier to put on.

I have also read of people using translube when installing them but I have never used it myself.

On my 90 they were different. One is black and one is brown. But I am unsure which one goes where. I do remember that one is to large to go into the block so you will know if it is in the wrong location.

The brown orings go on the engine side and the black orings go on the fuel rail side.

I've gotten the O-rings from the dealership...they give you the right ones. No idea how good the ones from auto parts places are.

Back