• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans mount height?

OZNAD

NAXJA Forum User
what is the height of the factory transmission/transfer case mount(oem replacement)? why does quadratec have an 1-1/2in and 3in poly mount? i have a 242 t case and an aw4, my crossmember has 6 holes in it as opposed to the one i just got out of the junkyard that has 4 holes?

Stick crossmembers seem to only have 4 holes while a/t crossmembers have 6. I've used the auto xmbrs in my 5 speed, but the stick versions don't fit the auto. This has been my experience but I don't know if it's always this way or not. Autos don't care which way they go in, while sticks only go in one way, the mount is offset. The different heights of the mounts may be to drop or raise the t/c. I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine on that. If the 4 hole crossmember fits, go for it. Some may be universal fit & others are specific fit. Who knows?[well, maybe 5-90 or another of the lifers]

Last edited:
I like pizza!!!! :anon:

Wow, 7 of your last 8 posts are "I like pizza". Real helpful... :dunce:

Here's a pic of the tranny mount out of a '99 with a 242 and an AW4. It has 4 mounting bolts, offset to the drivers side.

TCLift04.jpg

And here's a picture of it in place looking from under the driver's door. Mine has been slightly modified and has a 1/2" spacer underneath it.

TCLift07.jpg

Most will say that using poly for the tranny mount will transmit a lot of vibes to the unibody. The OEM is usually the recommended replacement for a good mix of durability and ride quality.

Looks like the difference in the heights is based upon the location of your exhaust bracket. Check out the install notes listed on the Quadratec website to figure out which one you need. Hope that helps.

:doh:After seeing fyrfytr1717s post, it was obvious to me I was wrong about the offset mount being a stick trans deal. I did some research & it's the transfer case[DUH], not the trans that matters. The 242 mount is centered, the 231 is offset to the right. Since the 242 never came with a stick, crossmembers from sticks only have one set of holes. That crossmember will fit any 231 equipped XJ. All 242 crossmembers have 8 holes for the mount, not 6 & will work for a 231 as well as the 242. I've found the dual bolt pattern unit in rigs with automatics with both T/Cs and in a V6 rig with the early full time only Selec-Trac. The Hollanders Interchange shows a difference between stick & A/T crossmembers, one of those A fits B, but B does not always fit A footnotes. Both of my automatic Cherokees had 242s so I jumped to the [wrong] conclusion that automatics had the mount centered. Shame on me, I know the mount bolts to the t/c. It does appear that rigs with the 231/AW4 combo should have come from the factory with the dual pattern crossmember, but that doesn't mean they did. When ever I get wrecking yard crossmembers I get them from rigs with automatics so they will work in both our rigs. I hope this clears up some crossmember confusion. We use up a lot of crossmembers in my circle of XJ friends, so I'm building one using 1"x6" heavy wall box tubing. I'll post pics if I ever finish it.

Last edited:
:doh:After seeing fyrfytr1717s post, it was obvious to me I was wrong about the offset mount being a stick trans deal. I did some research & it's the transfer case[DUH], not the trans that matters. The 242 mount is centered, the 231 is offset to the right. Since the 242 never came with a stick, crossmembers from sticks only have one set of holes. That crossmember will fit any 231 equipped XJ. All 242 crossmembers have 8 holes for the mount, not 6 & will work for a 231 as well as the 242. I've found the dual bolt pattern unit in rigs with automatics with both T/Cs and in a V6 rig with the early full time only Selec-Trac. The Hollanders Interchange shows a difference between stick & A/T crossmembers, one of those A fits B, but B does not always fit A footnotes. Both of my automatic Cherokees had 242s so I jumped to the [wrong] conclusion that automatics had the mount centered. Shame on me, I know the mount bolts to the t/c. It does appear that rigs with the 231/AW4 combo should have come from the factory with the dual pattern crossmember, but that doesn't mean they did. When ever I get wrecking yard crossmembers I get them from rigs with automatics so they will work in both our rigs. I hope this clears up some crossmember confusion. We use up a lot of crossmembers in my circle of XJ friends, so I'm building one using 1"x6" heavy wall box tubing. I'll post pics if I ever finish it.

Hmmm.... not to create more confusion, but the mount actually does bolt up to the transmission, not the TC. I think this is a common misconception as lowering your crossmember (and therefore your transmission mount) is always referred to as a "transfer case drop" even though the lower TC is really just a byproduct of lowering your transmission.

Here's a good pic of a mounted tranny with the TC removed. It's not on a stock crossmember, but it clearly shows where the mount is bolted on to the transmission housing:

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0711_4wd_rubicon_express_long_arm_system/photo_13.html

Wow, 7 of your last 8 posts are "I like pizza". Real helpful... :dunce:

Here's a pic of the tranny mount out of a '99 with a 242 and an AW4. It has 4 mounting bolts, offset to the drivers side.

TCLift04.jpg

And here's a picture of it in place looking from under the driver's door. Mine has been slightly modified and has a 1/2" spacer underneath it.

TCLift07.jpg

Most will say that using poly for the tranny mount will transmit a lot of vibes to the unibody. The OEM is usually the recommended replacement for a good mix of durability and ride quality.

Looks like the difference in the heights is based upon the location of your exhaust bracket. Check out the install notes listed on the Quadratec website to figure out which one you need. Hope that helps.
anytime!! (see below)

Back