• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trackbar/steering stiffening.

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
There is another thread on here about this currently, but im kind of looking for more of a solution to my particular car. I have a TNT winch bumper which mounts up pretty good, definitely has strong mounting points, but im looking to stiffen up my steering setup since im moving up to 35" tires from 32s, and i dont want to twist up the unibody too much. I also plan on some frame stiffeners and rock rails as well as a rigid co rear bumper.

I have a RE 1660 track bar with the RE1665 bracket, there is a track bar brace you can get with these, I think this would be good for my setup so i plan on buying one of these, not too expensive either.

Okay here is my big question, I really want some sort of steering box brace as well, I know JKS is good but they are pretty expensive, what would be my best bet? The reason i ask is because of the bumper - not sure what would & would not fit. Maybe i can get away with something cheaper? I also plan on possibly swapping in a durango box eventually, should i do that when i do all this or what?

can i get a inner replacement plate/spacer from TNT? theirs looked okay. What is the point of getting hte passenger side plate too? Its an extra $50..

If the bumper plates/mounts extend back far enough, Id just look at getting an inner replacement plate/spacer like a C-rok one. Get a steering box brace sold by M.O.R.E., it'll help.

Would you give that advice knowing that the steering box bolts are not used to mount to the bumper plates?

Huh? On which part? Steering box brace or inner plate?

I'm refering to the plates that come with aftermarket bumpers that extend rearward from the stock bumper mounting points to provide additional mounting points. They bolt up on the outside part of the framerail. I assumed you were refering to these as the plates that, if present, made installing just the interior reinforcement plates (such as c-rok) feasible.

Yeah i think i have that, i wish i had a pic. I saw what the c-rock and tnt plates looked like and i was thinkin "hmm my frame rail mounting points from my bumper look a lot like that", i actually emailed TNT asking them about it, cuz i beleive they go in the same place.

Yeah i think i have that, i wish i had a pic. I saw what the c-rock and tnt plates looked like and i was thinkin "hmm my frame rail mounting points from my bumper look a lot like that", i actually emailed TNT asking them about it, cuz i beleive they go in the same place.

What I wonder is...do these plates (the ones that come with aftermarket bumpers) provide any protection from failure of the framerails if the bolts from the steering box are not used to attach them. IOW, do they need to be replaced by outside reinfrcement plates if they are not bolted on with steering box bolts??

I'm refering to the plates that come with aftermarket bumpers that extend rearward from the stock bumper mounting points to provide additional mounting points. They bolt up on the outside part of the framerail. I assumed you were refering to these as the plates that, if present, made installing just the interior reinforcement plates (such as c-rok) feasible.

Ok, gotcha. Yes, IF an aftermarket bumpers mounting plates go back to the steering box bolts, I would just add an inner plate to replace the stock aluminum spacer. But if a bumper did not have the mounting plates that went back that far, I would do a full C-rok or similar kit, and mock it on the other side if possible. A JKS weld on kit would be the best for strenghtening up the area. The bumper I have did not go all the way back, so I welded it to the C-rok plate.

100_4792-1.jpg

Well, my bumper mpunting plates go way behind the steering box mounting bolts, but they are not attached to the framerail by the steering box mounting bolts. So, knowing that, would you still say just leave them in and that they protect they framerail from stress coming from the steering box?

Well, my bumper mpunting plates go way behind the steering box mounting bolts, but they are not attached to the framerail by the steering box mounting bolts. So, knowing that, would you still say just leave them in and that they protect they framerail from stress coming from the steering box?

The reason for adding the C-rok (or other brand) plates is to help strenghten the area and the steering box itself, by having the bolts bolt through the plate(s). I would venture to guess that by having the steering gearbox bolted through the sheet metal frame, it wouldnt have the same strength it could have if it was bolted through the bumper mounts. Got a pic of what you're working with?

I don't have a pic and its night out so this issue might have to be put on hold for a day. I would also estimate that without being attached by the steering box bolts the bumper plates would not provide much reinforcement. I would assume that the c-rok also replaces and functions as the bumper plate.

Ok, gotcha. Yes, IF an aftermarket bumpers mounting plates go back to the steering box bolts, I would just add an inner plate to replace the stock aluminum spacer. But if a bumper did not have the mounting plates that went back that far, I would do a full C-rok or similar kit, and mock it on the other side if possible. A JKS weld on kit would be the best for strenghtening up the area. The bumper I have did not go all the way back, so I welded it to the C-rok plate.

100_4792-1.jpg

Hmm, i think my bumper mounts extend about that far back, like that bumper you pictured only has 3 bolts right there, but my TNT extends back as far as that CROK plate is. I dont have a good pic, but here is the best i can find. If you look closely you can see that it has a ton of bolts, i think its around 8. What exactly does that CROK thing do? It looks like a plate just connecting the bumper rail to the frame rail??? Check it out....

DSCN0783.jpg

This piece is included, read the description, i guess i dont need a steering box brace ?_?

Outer Uni-body Braces Included!
To mount your new TREKSTM Offroad Equipment Rock-Runner winch bumper, you get a pair of outer-unibody-braces. These braces double the number of mounting points from your bumper to your unibody - to include the 3 steering box mounting bolts on the driver's side. Also included are through uni-body crush sleeves and all of the hardware needed to complete the installation - standard with your TREKSTM Rock-Runner Winch Bumper purchase.

unibodyBraces.jpg

... These are included in the TNT bumper kit that i have, i dont have the optional inner steering box brace though...

Since you have a winch bumper that includes the steering box bolts, what you need is the inner plate. I got one from C-ROK. It came with spacers that are installed inside the frame rail, after drilling out the outer steering box bolt holes. The spacers keep the frame rails from collapsing. Installing the spacers will require pulling the bumper but that’s what it takes to do it right.
The instructions provide all info you need. It will take a few hours to do.

RE's trac bar brace will tighten up the steering and will add strength to the trac bar mount.
[FONT=&quot]If you have the skills and tools, make one or just buy it.
I made one to fit my Kevin's trac bar mount but it was a lot of work.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157603825744373/[/FONT]

Since you have a winch bumper that includes the steering box bolts, what you need is the inner plate. I got one from C-ROK. It came with spacers that are installed inside the frame rail, after drilling out the outer steering box bolt holes. The spacers keep the frame rails from collapsing. Installing the spacers will require pulling the bumper but that’s what it takes to do it right.
The instructions provide all info you need. It will take a few hours to do.

RE's trac bar brace will tighten up the steering and will add strength to the trac bar mount.
[FONT=&quot]If you have the skills and tools, make one or just buy it.
I made one to fit my Kevin's trac bar mount but it was a lot of work.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157603825744373/[/FONT]

Alright that makes sense. The track bar brace is only like $50ish IIRC, so ill prob just buy it since its built to go with my bracket anyway.

As for the inner box brace, i think ill go ahead and add that too. Theyre only $50 so ill probably get the TNT one so im sure it all fits together nicely. And i know pulling the bumper will be a bitch, but i dont mind because i have wanted to pull it to repaint it for a long time.

This would be a good time to swap out my steering box, but i think im going to pass. I may adjust the slack just a weee bit (ill adress a guide or write up and do it right as i know you can over tighten it and destroy the box), the reason im keeping the stock one is i dont have any slack i dont think and all the powersteering lines going into it have rusted fittings, i just dont want to touch it - apart from the 98% chance of tetnus i think it would just end up a disaster. The way i see it is if that steering box is strong enough to twist, bend & crack my unibody it must be strong enough to handle 35" tires.

Hmm, i think my bumper mounts extend about that far back, like that bumper you pictured only has 3 bolts right there, but my TNT extends back as far as that CROK plate is.... .......What exactly does that CROK thing do?

There is actually 7 bolts there skippy. 3 for the factory, 3 for the steering box(1 is behind horn), and 1 large one at the end.

Search on what a C-rok plate does. Look it up here or on their website.

Back