• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

URGENT HELP Yoke Doesnt Fit

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Just got a BAD call from the dude who is regearing my axles.

The 8.25 29 spline axle im doing 4.56, well the pinion gear apparently has a larger diameter for the yoke splines than stock.

The stock pinion was 27 splines and 1.5" roughly

The pinion in the gear kit was 27 SPlines and 1.7" roughly..

Anyways where can I get a yoke so I can overnight it to him so he can finish my gears?

Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like you got the wrong gears!

Send them back!What brand are we talking about?

I got the PORC gears.

I dont have the gears right now they are with the installer about 100 miles away.

He is saying to get a differnt yoke just to fit this new gear, since everything else is the same.

They are machined the exact same the new pinion is just a bit more beefy with the splines. they are 20 thousandths bigger.

If the yoke doesnt fit,something is WRONG WITH THE GEARS! Ive set-up many 8.25's with no issues!

Something doesn't sound right. My 8.25 has been regeared from 3.07 to 4.11, and from 4.11 to 4.56 using the same yoke. There's something else going on here.

im the same way. i have regeared my 8.25 to 456 and used same yoke. i used yukon gears. i would call the place you got the gears from and see what they say.

X2 on all that. More than likely the gears are not for your particular application. Call PORC and have them overnight a new set. They will do it since they sent you something that does not fit.

I used the same yoke on my xj when I went to 4.56 gears. Something is definitely wrong with what they sent you.

by chance, is he trying to put the yoke from the front axle on the rear? Ijust have to ask....

I dont see how since he does one axle at a time.

And in that case the one from the 8.25 wouldnt fit on the D30

Is it possible he misplaced it with some other yokes at the shop and says it dont fit now? Tell him to buy a yoke for it, see if it fits, if it does, he screwed up. If it doesnt, then send the crappy gears back and buy something else besides PORC brand gears.

We had a problem, or so we thought, getting the pinion to fit on the C8.25 yoke. The mechanic tried tapping it on and it finally fit. It was just tight.

I'm not saying this is your situation, but it reminded me of the mild panic I had when he tried to put it on then looked at me like I was supposed to have the answer.

Well I will call PORC tomorrow and demand that he send me a set of Precision gears overnight.

I need these gears so he can install them for wednesday. Its bad enough I dont have a DD anymore for a few more days.

If the pinion is .020 larger than stock, how can you install the stock pinion bearings, shims and seals?
If your installer had no problem, except for the yoke, I'd say he got your yoke mixed up with another job.

If the pinion is .020 larger than stock, how can you install the stock pinion bearings, shims and seals?
If your installer had no problem, except for the yoke, I'd say he got your yoke mixed up with another job.

bingo. he should not be able to get the rest together if the yolk is wrong.

Back