• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Transfercase differences

95Z28A4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hoping someone can tell me the difference between a 1996 six cylinder 231 transfercase and a 1997-2001 six cylinder 231 transfercase. I thought they were the same, but www.car-part.com has the 1996 231 six cylinder transfercase listed separately from the 1997 newer and 1995 older units. I want to purchase a 231 to transplant into a 1995 ZJ using a XJ AX15.

Probably the reason it (96) is listed separately is because it could have either out put shaft style.
Pre 96 had the slip yoke inter the TC extension housing and has a seal that runs on the yoke to keep the fluid in the TC.
Post 96 and my 96,have the seal at the end of the housing and the slip yoke does not enter the case--the splines on the out put shaft are longer to allow for the movement of the driveshaft.
There may also be some difference in the length of the input shafts between auto/manual .Spline count would be the same for those years.

Wayne

Probably the reason it (96) is listed separately is because it could have either out put shaft style.
Pre 96 had the slip yoke inter the TC extension housing and has a seal that runs on the yoke to keep the fluid in the TC.
Post 96 and my 96,have the seal at the end of the housing and the slip yoke does not enter the case--the splines on the out put shaft are longer to allow for the movement of the driveshaft.
There may also be some difference in the length of the input shafts between auto/manual .Spline count would be the same for those years.

Wayne

Correct, my 1998 XJ 231 has the lip seal sealing on the tailshaft and my son's 1995 XJ 231 has the lip seal sealing on the slip yoke.

What is different about the 1996 231 transfercase versus the 1997 & newer units for the same 4.0L six cylinder / AX15 manual transmission application? Could it be an electrical connector or ???????

If I understand correctly, 1996 could have either tailshaft design??

If you have a good deal on a newer one that is a different style you can swap the output shaft and tail housings to make the one that works better fit in your vehicle. Not too bad a job, just get a good pair of snap ring pliers and a six pack to keep you from doing anything in haste.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a used NP231 from a 1999 XJ. I plan to install a JB Conversions SYE.

Back