• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny question

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I need to change my tranny mount but I'm trying to look up the part online to see how much it will cost me (autozone.com) but I ran into a problem, I don't know which transmission I have. I have a 90 2 door xj, 4.0L, manual and I believe it was a sport if it makes a differance.

Autozone.com gives me these 2 options to narrow my search
With Aisin transmission (1 piece casting)
With Peugeot transmission (2 piece main casting)

And this is what I found at jeep tech.

AX-5: The AX-5 is a light duty 5 speed manual transmission. it and the BA 10/5 were used in all Wranglers from 1987-mid 1989. It was also used in Cherokees (XJ) and Comanches (MJ) with the 2.8L V6, 2.5L I4, and 4.0L I6 from their introduction until 1989. After mid 1989, the AX-5 has only been used in 4 cylinder Wranglers (YJs and TJs), Cherokees (XJ), and Comanches (MJ).
BA 10/5: The BA 10/5 is a light duty 5 speed manual transmission. It and the Aisin AX-5 were used in all Wranglers from 1987-mid 1989. It was also used in Cherokees (XJ) and Comanches (MJ) with the 2.8L V6, 2.5L I4, and 4.0L I6 from their introduction until 1989

Any help would be appreciated, when i go to the parts store I want to make sure I'm asking for the right part. autozone lists price ranges from 15.99 to 35.99 for both those options

Back