• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocating charcoal canister

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a tube bumper on the fron of my xj so my charcoal canister is no longer hiden..right now i just have it zapstrapped in the same place it was..

i would like to reloacte locate it. what have people done to relocate it? i couldnt find any how to's or anything on what to do so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great

thanks

I installed a tube bumper on the fron of my xj so my charcoal canister is no longer hiden..right now i just have it zapstrapped in the same place it was..

i would like to reloacte locate it. what have people done to relocate it? i couldnt find any how to's or anything on what to do so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great

thanks

you're talking about the vacuum ball. just disconnect it from the line momentarily, run the line up into the engine bay, reconnect the ball, shove it somewhere it fits and call it a day.

FWIW, the charcoal canister is about 2 feet in front of the rear axle on the driver's side. trust me, i know. i smashed the poop out of mine and it caused my CEL to go on right before i was due to get inspection. so, if anyone has any suggestions on the relocation of the ACTUAL charcoal canister, please, offer them up.

I just disconnected mine. What is the downside of that?

it doesnt have to be upright or anything???
the charcoal canister or the vacuum resevoir? in your original post, you are talking about the vacuum resevoir, its just a big container. its only there to hold vacuum, it doesnt matter how you mount it.

it controls the cruse and one other thing. i looked up a write up on it when i replaced my bumper also. right now i just have it zip tied into its stock location.

The write up i read they basically just used sergical tubing and extended the lines from the stock location into the engine bay where ever they found room, depending on your year ( i have an 89) i was going to move mine to under the radiator bottle by the blower motor. there is alot of unused space right there. then again ive been running it just zip tied in place for months with no ill effects.

I just move mine inside by carefully pulling the factory lines up inside the engine bay and re used them, I have it zip tied to the ac condensor bracket, no problems so far, I can try to get a pic if you'd like

im talking about the vacume resivor..the thing inside the stock bumper on hte passenger side

As said earlier, it is a vacumn canister or vacumn storage device. In theory, it is supposed to hold enough vacumn to operate the cruise control and the cabin vents (air condition and heater vents) in the passenger compartment when the engine is under load like climbing hills etc; I had mine removed for several months and plugged the hose. The ac vents had a mind of their own and the cruise control was useless going up hills with it removed.

i dont even have cruise control..so i could jut remove it and plug the lines?

Try the heater with it removed and see if it works for you.

Back