• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power trax no slip versus their lock rite

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i've been looking at powertrax no-slip for quite sometime because supposedly they work well off road and because their synchros not a ratchet style they are dead quite on the road... my question is does anyone run this and how do you like it? how loud and uncomfortable does a real locker make a daily drive(i do 500-600 miles of highway and city driving a week thats why im concerned)? last question, what would be the advantage having a real locker (like powertax lock rite or detroit etc...) off road?
thanks to any one who posts
-Andrew

In the front you won't tell a difference. The rear depends on what axle you have. I, persally, have a Powertrax due to limited availability on the 29 spline 8.25. I've had a Lock-Right in my YJ and it was tolerable as a daily driver. It clicked when I free-wheeled through turns and chirped under acceleration but no biggy. The Powertrax in my XJ is silent but will chirp under acceleration too. Again, no biggy. I hope this helps.

LilRhodyXJ said:
i'd be getting the no slip for a 29 spline 8.25...soo u say it will do pretty good on the road??
yes. i've had one for a year or two, lock right up front and i'm happy with em both. for the rear, get a no slip.

so with a no slip lets say for the F*** of it i wanted to roast tire obviously the back right begins to spin will the back left also then catch like posi but faster? or does no slip only work in 4wd..
when i am in 4wd are the back wheel both turning no matter what or does it do like a limited slip... sorry the websites don't really explain it they just kind of praise it..

LilRhodyXJ said:
so with a no slip lets say for the F*** of it i wanted to roast tire obviously the back right begins to spin will the back left also then catch like posi but faster? or does no slip only work in 4wd..
when i am in 4wd are the back wheel both turning no matter what or does it do like a limited slip... sorry the websites don't really explain it they just kind of praise it..
when powered is applied to it, they both lock up. Its not a limited slip, it is a locker.

I have a No-Slip. It's a '99, auto with 8.25 rear-end. I definitely notice it on the road. You'll have to change your driving style. You may feel it more in a manual tranny because the auto shifts smoother.

When backing up, then going forward, I get a loud clunk every once in a while. It doesn't happen all the time and catches me off guard because I forget it's there. It's kind of funny to see everyone around look at you like you just hit something.

It works great off-roading and have no complaints about it's performance.

If you are doing about 500 miles a week, then I would recommend a selectable locker. When I drive that much and when I'm in downtown traffic, I hate the thing and wish I had enough money to get a selectable.

So, it depends on how much you want to deal with it. Some people don't mind or even notice it and others, like me, want to be able to get the best ride out of it because they spend so much time driving.

I'd say that you should find someone in you area that has a No-Slip installed and test drive it. That way, you'll know what you're getting into.

What area are you in??

Elias

when u say u notice it what do u feel? and do the upsides of having it weigh out the bad? also how does it effect gas mileage?
i just dont want the click click click or the weird wheel hop/jerkyness so if its smooth i like that

When power is applied the Powertrax goes into a "lock-up" mode where both rear wheels are getting equal power. When this occurs you'll feel a push or what feels like a binding in the rear. This is mostly on tight turns in a parking lot or making an in-town turn. You'll hear the inside tire chirp at lower speeds. This occurs because both rear tires are spinning the same speed but the inside one has less distance to travel in a turn. Like I said before, if coasting through a turn you will not feel it at all. I've noticed that if I lightly accelerate through a turn I barely feel. I've learned to drive around what most people complain of. It's not bad at all. People that complain of a rear locker's drivability need to be driving a car for a DD.

Sorry for the essay.

my jeep makes enough noise and weird shimmies and shit so i'm sure a little more noise aint gunna hurt it...just turn the music up!!!
do u feel better drive ability in 2wd like through rain or snow??

I can do all the trails in Uwharrie in 2wd. I feel better and perfectly comfortable in rain and snow but it's a double edged sword. Learn to drive with it cuz it can spin you out in the snow. Search on lockers and ice/snow. PM me if ya have anymore questions. I'm off and it's time to start a long night of sinning. Later.

Just like I said, some barely notice it and others feel it more.

You won't even notice a selectable locker on the street because it acts like a normal rear-end when it's not engaged.

If you already have weird noises and "shimmies", then you may not mind the characteristics of a locker.

I think lockers get a bad name in short wheelbase vehicles like Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ etc, Susuki Samarai's, Toy FJs etc, also a manual tranny makes them more noticable as well. I have only run full fledged Detroits in the XJ dana 44 I had and now one in my 9" and you feel a slight "thud" when you get on the gas, but they are invisible when coasting and when you are not on the gas because they are designed to let up and allow some tire speed differences such as when your outside tire has to go a little farther than your inside tire. XJs benefit greatly from a perfect, to near perfect wheelbase of app 101", this and a auto tranny can make a locker in even a dd very accepting.

How do you guys feel about a Aussie locker? I hear this as well as the NO-Slip are really improvements of the Lock Rite and it's other more primitive "lunch box lockers--needing to rely on the stock carrier". I know the Aussie and No-slip are "lunch box lockers" as well, but have much better manners and don't annoy the owner quite as much. :rolleyes: If you want traction from a auto locker, you have to put up with some of it's quirks, otherwise get an invisible ARB or E-locker, or OX.

The No-Slip is the "soft locker"
The Lock-Right is the "harsh locker"

I ran a Lock-Right for over a year in a DD '89 S-10 Blazer (4.3). On snow, on the pavement, it sucked... otherwise it was great on the trail!!

I noticed a certian amount of what I call "locker sway" in the rear when letting off the gas doing highway speeds.

I pulled mine to sell it when I was getting rid of the Blazer, I aboused the living *&#% out of it, and it looked like new! This was with a 4.3L, 700R4, 3.42 and 30X9.5 FWIW.

HTH,
Andrew

Ex CCS Racer said:
I can do all the trails in Uwharrie in 2wd. I feel better and perfectly comfortable in rain and snow but it's a double edged sword. Learn to drive with it cuz it can spin you out in the snow.
Ditto... I ran 2HI at Uwharrie too, it was pretty neat seeing others in 4X4 not getting where I got in 2HI. HAHA! Snow... Ice... Ditto. Suxor.

Andrew

Back