• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building my own control arms, a few Q's?

AussieDave

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm going to build some of my own adjustable control arms (short) for my mildly lifted xj.

are Johnny joints or rubicon superflex joints really worth the cash or is just standard rubber good for a jeep lifted 4" and below? I mean do you actually get that much more flex from them?

i'll be making upper and lower arms,

also if i do go with a johhny or superflex joint, does it go on the frame or the axle side and the rubber bush on the other?

has anybody got actual photos of flex before and after adding a johnny or superflex joint?

It isn't a flex issue.

The Johnny Joints will last longer, are rebuildable and less stress is placed on the joint than a regular rubber busing.

If you do build your own short arms, you can always cut off the end of the links and re-use the joints if you upgrade.

Oh, and put them on the frame side.

Keeps your expensive hardware farther away from the rocks and stuff that can beat on them.

because rocks are easily going to deystroy jhonny joints and superflex joints?

maybe knock off a grease nipple if it is mounted pointing down, but it would take decades of regular wheeling to mess up a jhonny joint due to dragging it over rocks.

because rocks are easily going to deystroy jhonny joints and superflex joints?

maybe knock off a grease nipple if it is mounted pointing down, but it would take decades of regular wheeling to mess up a jhonny joint due to dragging it over rocks.

Meh, it's all on what you wanna do.

I've seen them done either way and have never seen any pros or cons about it.

I'm sure there is someone out there that has done the math...

Come to think of it, on my rig I have the joints on the axle end.

id try and keep the rubbers on the axle just to help kill vibration from driving furhter from the passenget compartment

Back