• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any other Ironmen out there up for day then night trails?

Jared

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to throw this out - LET'S DO SOME NIGHT TRAILS!:viking:

Many of you guys know that I'm not the type to BS and drink around a campfire all evening. I'm much more entertained when behind the wheel. I suggest that the few of us who aren't pansies:shiver: get together and hit some rocks at night.

Some suggested trails would be Hell's Revenge (forward or backward), Poison Spider Mesa up to the flats and back, and Moab Rim for the truly brave. Basically, any trail where route finding is very very easy would work great. Anybody with GPS routes for a trail would also be a plus. I've run Hell's Revenge at night and it was a piece of cake.

Any takers?

Jared:patriot:

I had brought up doing Cliffhanger as a night run on the Sunday before. Last year guys ran the Escalator at night mid-week.

Greg M.

I'm not much of an escalator fan, but I'd be more than willing to watch and spot. Cliffhanger would be perfect, let's do it.

Guess I'll need to install some flood lights on all 4 corners!

Keep the ideas flowing. Also to make sure this fantasy becomes reality, we need to assign days and make these official non-NAXJA trail runs.

DeadEyeJ said:
I'm not much of an escalator fan, but I'd be more than willing to watch and spot. Cliffhanger would be perfect, let's do it.

Guess I'll need to install some flood lights on all 4 corners!

Keep the ideas flowing. Also to make sure this fantasy becomes reality, we need to assign days and make these official non-NAXJA trail runs.

Come on...you can come up with something better than CliffHanger can you?

DeadEyeJ said:
...Moab Rim...

Yes.

My biggest concern is ease of finding your route. If it's not blatantly obvious where the trail leads in the daylight, it's near impossible in the dark. Hell's Revenge isn't always obvious, but I've run it enough times that it's still a piece of cake. I could probably do Behind the Rocks at night, but there are a couple spots past Pritchett where I get lost on the slickrock. I'd hate to get down white knuckle hill and get lost!

What regimen does the Doctor recommend?

DeadEyeJ said:
Yes.

My biggest concern is ease of finding your route. If it's not blatantly obvious where the trail leads in the daylight, it's near impossible in the dark. Hell's Revenge isn't always obvious, but I've run it enough times that it's still a piece of cake. I could probably do Behind the Rocks at night, but there are a couple spots past Pritchett where I get lost on the slickrock. I'd hate to get down white knuckle hill and get lost!

What regimen does the Doctor recommend?

The Rim sounds fun. :D

DrMoab said:
the Escalator is fun fun fun at night. I'd do it.
we should do it again, avery can't make it in the dark:D

i'm also up for any night run, we could do a no light run down bartlett thats always fun.

The roof rack isn't the only XJ accessory I regret selling. A mostly complete lift kit, nicer interior panels, a good bumper, fender flares, good doors, brand new RE 4.5" rear leaf springs for $150.. :dunce:

But honestly, I think this piece-o-crap XJ is going back where I found it - for sale.

You know, I'd be keeping the XJ had I not shifted gears yet again on keeping the TJ. I just decided that building up another off roader, selling the TJ, finding/buying/licensing/fixing whatever is wrong with a car was just too much of a hassle for me right now. Remodeling the house is already more than I want to do right now. So I overrode the wife's decision to simplify our lives.:party1:

DeadEyeJ said:
So I overrode the wife's decision to simplify our lives.:party1:

now there's something you don't hear everyday...:clap:

No kidding, I'm a lucky man!

<<<------------->>>

Now back on topic.

I really want to do a trail on Thursday night. It doesn't need to be super long or anything. A neighbor is going to be there on a mountain biking trip and I'd like to take him along for a ride, and Thursday is the best time for him to go.

Let's just plan on doing one Thursday night. You guys can decide which trail or I can, doesn't matter.

Post up!

Back