• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Compressors

I suggest you look for something a little bigger. That is a nice little compressor, but I don't think it will keep up with a cut off wheel. Die grinders are like a giant air leak, the use alot of volume and alot of CFM at the same time.

I got a Ciasons compressor, I picked it up of craigslist for $350. It's the three cylinder 60 gal version, and puts out alot of CFM (19.0) and it can barely keep up with a good cut off wheel.

Shop around for a little while and see what turns up. Try and stay for the "cookie cutter" Home depot/sears/lowes versions, I heard they like blow the compressor part.

http://ciasons.com/single_stage_stationary.htm model number: SS-C5060VWA

I defiantly agree, dont go less than a 60gal, it will work too hot and cause lots of condensation that will eventually ruin your tools.

I have a Craftsman compressor that size, I only use it for running my impact wrench, air hammers and filling tires and such. Once in a while It gets used for a die grinder or a cut off wheel. Since its my brother's compressor and I don't have room for a larger one I use a 4.5 inch grinder with a cut off wheel on it when I need to make cuts. If you're the one paying the electric bill then you should consider the amount of power to turn a 3-5HP compressor vs a .5-1hp cut off wheel.

~Alex

I have that same exact compressor, only mine is about 15+ year old. For what I use it for it works great. The only three tools I really use on it are an impact, air ratchet, and a cut-off wheel. Cut-off wheel can be used in longer bursts, but eventually you will have to take a short (minute or three) break and let it catch back up. However in my use this is usually about the same time a hot piece of slag is stuck in my shirt or falling down in my boots so it works out conveniently.

If I have to guess I would say their ratings are relatively conservative as the overall build quality of the (at least the older ones) speedaire compressors seems to be high and marketed more towards light/medium industrial applications.

Back