• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

id any 8.25s come with 10 inch drums?

There is a 10"X1 3/4" brake drum listed in various catalogs for 94 thru 01 XJs, & since the D30 & Mopar 8.25 share the 9" drum, an 8.25 with 10" drums might exist , but I have never seen anything later than a 90 with 10" drums. The 9"X2 1/2" drum has more contact area than the 10"X1 3/4" it would have been pointless to use the narrow 10" drum. Maybe they were used on export models. I think the 9" drums were a typical Mopar cost cutting measure.

This topic has come up before & it seems like no one has actually seen them. If they are more than a rumor, it must be a super rare option. I've thought about researching 8.25 rear ends in passenger cars. Some of the Apen/Volare/Furys V8 cars had a 10" drum that looks a lot like my D44 10"X 2 1/2" drum. That could be a decent upgrade, but disc brakes are such a simple conversion no one seems interested in going to a bigger drum.

They do exist, at least in fitment anyway.

My friend had an 8.25 with Taurus discs and they locked up, so he had a shop install the Mopar 10" drums.

I think 8.25's came standard too with 10" as the parts stores ask 9" or 10"

I think 8.25's came standard too with 10" as the parts stores ask 9" or 10"
parts stores ask drum size because its much easier than asking the average tard what rear end they have on thier vehicle. just FYI from the other side of the counter ;)

You don't want 10X1.75" Jeep brakes. You will find those on Dana 35's and since Jeep installed them on Dana 35 applications, you will see them listed in the parts books for most years. That I am aware of, you will not find those on any corporate 8.25 installed on a Jeep.

Stay with the 9X2.5" brakes, you have much more surface area and the difference is noticable.

The other option is the brakes from a late 80's 318 or 360 powered midsized Mopar. Those came with 10X2.5" or 11X2.5" brakes which would be an upgrade.

Back