• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob bleeder screw, please help!

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but nothing first timer proof...
TIA soo...
2000 xj, been sitting for awhile and decided to try and do the front calipers. Need to bleed the brakes and wonder how. Is the zerk on the caliper the bleed scew and if so how do I get it to bleed?
Please be kind...
THX

Anyone...? Do I loosen it? Is there a special tool (aside from myself :)) to use? I need to get to work and really don't want to drive my G/Fs go cart...

I did a search but nothing first timer proof...
TIA soo...
2000 xj, been sitting for awhile and decided to try and do the front calipers. Need to bleed the brakes and wonder how. Is the zerk on the caliper the bleed scew and if so how do I get it to bleed?
Please be kind...
THX

Get a length of hose that fits secure on the bleeder valve on the caliper(guess it does look like a zerk). Loosen the bleeder like 1/4 - 1/2 a turn, have someone step on the brake and Hold the pedal down, fluid/air will squirt out. Close the valve, tell the other person to release the brake pedal, repeat until new clear fluid with no air comes out. Start on the rear passenger side then rear driver, front passenger then front driver side. Check the fluid reservoir constantly and do not let it go below the ADD line, keep adding new clean fluid.

Some people say not to press the pedal all the way to the floor, it may cause damage to the master cylinder seals.

I would recommend buying a set of speedbleeders though, makes it alot easier.

~edit
Its not something you should do alone, for the first time and while in a hurry. Its not a thing you want to screw up and end up with no brakes....

It's a bleeder, not a zerk. It helps if you crack it loose with a 6 point socket before you bleed it, that'll keep you from rounding it off. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Use a hose from the bleeder to a jar with some brake fluid in it, that'll keep you from sucking air back into the system. Go rt rear, left rear, rt front & then left front. That's so you work your way from the farthest to the closest to the m/c. Was that kind enough?

Last edited:
Thanks people. Thats what I needed to know. I have a helper and now the work begins...
And...thanks again for the lack of flames! :)

Back