• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ex-govt cherokee question

motorman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a line on a ex government cherokee for $3000. Its a 99, 5 spd 4L 4x4. manual doors, windows, but it does have AC.

Does anyone have experience with an ex government vehicle? I could see it having really good maintenance, but it might have sat and idled for all of its life. 92000 miles. Plus its FS green.

I've had good luck with DNR rigs. They tend to be dinged up & the interior is full of holes & brackets, but mechanicaly they've been good. My son still has a 95. It's had some crappy collision repair but the running gear was good. It's equipped like the one you are looking at but it also has a Trac-Lock & tow package, including hooks & skid plates.

Last edited:
HaleYes has one you might pm him if you have questions about that

I had one.. All vinyl interior, but I had A/C and full-time 4wd...

Ran great.. not a single problem till the rust ate her away...

The best thing about government vehicles as already stated is the regular maintenence. I work for the State and all of our vehicles are driven almost 100% highway miles, so thats another plus. I don't think you can go wrong with Government vehicles.

I've bought three ex-Forest Service Cherokee's. They have all been good runners. I'd be more concerned about looking for rust underneath, with only 90k miles. I now have a 98, bought it with 81k, 5-spd, 231, 4dr. Very happy with it. Also had a couple 96's, were both good rigs, one had body rust underneath as it had come out of an area close to the ocean, but mechanically was an excellent rig.

GOV fleet vehicles are maintained well. I work for the USDA and my fleet trucks are serviced every 3000 miles and all prevenative service is performed. Since iIwork for the GOV I am not able to buy one of the fleet vehicles from my current duty station, but if I was I would not be afraid to buy one at all. They used to take sealed bids on teh vehicles but now they go through and on-line brokering/auction service. The body and interior is what usually shows the wear on GOV rigs, but mechanically it should be good.

I don't know if it makes much difference, but our government vehicle really don't go past 55mph. So, if you put 15,xxx miles on a vehicle that only goes 40mph for the life of the vehicle and then you start driving it on the interstate, will that cause problems?

My cherokee was a Corps of Engineers park ranger rig. I bought it June before last with about 190k on it, and it still runs super strong. Even better was that it has power windows and locks, and the A/C works great. I gave $2k for it. It has been an outstanding jeep for me so far. No it has around 212k on it, and I would get in it, and drive it to Moab tomorrow with no worries.

At government auctions, both state & federal. If you've never bought at one, either go to a couple & watch or take an experienced buyer. It's easy to get buck fever at auctions & there are people out there who will run the prices up on an inexperienced buyer just out of orneryness.

I got mine on GovernmentLiquidation.com.... There is an army depot nearby where alot of the items on that website are stockpiled. So I got to go check it out in person, and then bid on it accordingly. I would say that as far as ex-govt. vehicles go mine was pretty mint. Alot of the ones they have are in pretty poor shape. However, some of the "less desireable ones" go for much less. I have seen them go as low as $350. None of them are just unusable though. Some might be missing parts... like an axle, or a tranny.

I have a '98 XJ from a county sheriff's dept within NJ. Getting all that reflective tape off of it was a big PITA - that stuff is unbelievably gummy. Runs strong and looks to be well maintained - only 99K miles when I bought it. Doesn't have the extended idle option which is common on these models - I think most are the SE model which means they are pretty basic, power brakes, power steering, and power mirrors with manual windows and locks, no cruise, has AC, vinyl grey interior, AM/FM stereo, HP D30 front, D35 rear with ABS, NP231 transfer case, skid plates, and the ever present stubby cop antennae.

When it gets cold out, you can still see the K-9 sticker residue on the back windows.

As someone who was once an MP, ive seen em get run either 8alls out hammer down or idleing for the most part. Lots and lots of idleing. Plus the interiors do get f'd up like everyone said. I'm sure most of the Govt service vehicles are fine but if it looks like it had police light bar and a radio/ equip rack in the front, barrier in the middle, id be weary.
We also san an S10 into the ground night after night on a remote post in North Carolina....:firedevil

That thing was hurting after a year...

Which years did they have a column shift option for fleet rigs? So much more room for radios...

I know that most vehicles that make it into the govt fleet are upgraded in some form. like police crusers, take a 05 crown vic vs a 05 crown vic police cruser and its no contest. So the XJs used by the forest service say, what do they have diffrent from the stock civilian modles. I know they come with rubber floor mats rather then carpet but what else?

Skid plates,tow hooks, Trac-Lok or No-Spin,sometimes ABS , full size spare tire & an hd alternator. Otherwise strippers with idiot light clusters. A/C seems to be standard on HO Cherokees. I've never seen a 91 up 4.0 without air. If they exist, they must be special order.

Back