• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 question...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I've "HEARD" :shhh: that a pre-91 Dana 35 (non c-clip) is a better axle than the later c-clip models. Are the shafts any stronger, or is it just less work if they break?
Will a Dana 35 "safely" stand up to 31s unlocked?:dunno: (AX-15 tranny)

only better because the c clip models will allow the whole wheel and axle to come out if broken, whreas the non c clip have an outer bearing retainer system that prevents this.

I think it's just less work if they break.

I beat and bounced my D35 years ago on Fordyce and other rock trails with 33s, manual, and an open diff, I carried spares and counted myself lucky that nothing broke. I've also never broken a shaft up front with the ARB unlocked, but as soon as I lock it, one good bounce and buh-bye.

An open diff reduces breakage a TON.

OLAK said:
only better because the c clip models will allow the whole wheel and axle to come out if broken, whreas the non c clip have an outer bearing retainer system that prevents this.
x2.

My open (c-clip) D35 held up fine in the rocks with 3.07s and 31s.

Jess said:
I wheel with a guy that has a welded 35 and ran 34's with no breakage. I think it is a non-clip model.

x2 i wheel with the same guy and i owned that rig at 1 point, i beat the hell out of it too when i had it and he beats it too. i put my full confidence in a non c 35

Back