• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a low-pinion that bad? Should I skip this lifted '00?

mizedog

NAXJA Forum User
So I know the '00 and '01s have the TJ-style axles. Are these really that bad when lifted about 6 inches? I have the opporunity to buy one with a Teraflex lift, 33s, Classic II wheels. Will I regret getting a lo pinion?
Thanks for any opinions.

Also, is the electronic spark unit ok, or is the old distributor-style better?

Re: Is a hi-pinion that bad? Should I skip this lifted '00?

thats low pinion in the 00 and 01

Bought my 2K new,almost 40K miles on it,all off-road,been lifted since month 2.Finally settled to about 5.5".Stock steering never been replaced.Still running my LP D30,I wonder sometimes if road miles arent worse than off-road!

The low pinion will also keep your DS lower and can cause it to either get hung up on stuff or damaged easier. Swap it out for a high pinion when you plan to regear or change anything on the front axle. At 6 inches the angle on the DS is probably pretty bad as well.

-Alex

The high pinion unit uses gears with a reversed spiral to the teeth - meaning that you're driving on the drive side of the gears, not the coast side (the backside, as they're normally driven.) This is why HP units are stronger.

Also, the higher pinion (usually by about 3-4" over the low pinion units) allows for less severe driveshaft angles - meaning less operating angle for the Cardan joints - which helps to reduce that load as well, while allowing for more articulation.

Is a ZJ D30 a direct swap. If so then you could get HP and ZJ steering....?
Sorry, not trying to thread jack, just expanding on 00 an 01 options...

XJs are LP...

Just find an HPD30 Non-vac disco at the junk yard. Shouldnt be more then about $200.

You wont regret it.
As said above, when the time comes around swap it out, but w/ a good drive line (even a stock one ground for clearence) youll be fine.
The low pinion gears are stronger than the HP, in the hp the gears are running in reverse going forward which is the much weaker side of the gear. But regardless with good gears it shouldnt matter.
As a plus youll have the larger u-joints in that front end.

Is a ZJ D30 a direct swap. If so then you could get HP and ZJ steering....?
Sorry, not trying to thread jack, just expanding on 00 an 01 options...

Just grab a HP out of a non dico XJ, they are common as hell and cheap as hell, then you can grab the tirerod and tirerod ends of a V8 ZJ. Not much of the ZJs steering is any different the XJs.

I've never seen so many instances of people that had brain farts writing LP vs HP lol.

ZJ = LPD30
HP > LP

HP is stronger because HP uses the drive side of the gear moving forward, rather than the coast side in a front axle application.

I've never seen so many instances of people that had brain farts writing LP vs HP lol.

ZJ = LPD30
HP > LP

HP is stronger because HP uses the drive side of the gear moving forward, rather than the coast side in a front axle application.
Exactly. The misinformation available in this thread is frightening.

TJs with the D30 use the less desirable LP D30.
XJs were available with the more-preferable HP D30 from 1984-1999.
XJs started using the less-desirable LP D30 in 2000-01.

Hi-pinion is more deirable in a FRONT application because the pinion puts power into the drive side of the gear, compressing the metals. In a low-pinion application, the front pinion pulls against the ring, so it is not as inherently strong.

Conversely, in rear applications, the low-pinion is more desirable from a strength standpoint, as it pushes the drive side of the ring gear.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

If the rest of the XJ meets your needs and you think it is a good deal don't let the front axle deter you. At some point you will probably want to change gears, add a locker, etc. When you you do find an HP D30 and upgrade it. Tha is what I did. They are plentiful and cheap.

As for the ignition system, that can be debated to death. I for one would take a modern distributorless ignition any day over a 100 year old design. But that is just my humble opinion.

XJs are LP...

Just find an HPD30 Non-vac disco at the junk yard. Shouldnt be more then about $200.

Not wrong but needs more info...

All XJs from 00-01 are Low Pinion Dana 30s. Any year under that they are High Pinion. Reverse cut gears and LP is standard cut.

HP>LP.

i would be more concerned about the problem with the cracked heads on the 00-01.

x2 ^.

33s and under I woulnt worry with the LP unless you could find a 4 cyl HP30. That would be a worth while swap.

If the rest of the XJ meets your needs and you think it is a good deal don't let the front axle deter you. At some point you will probably want to change gears, add a locker, etc. When you you do find an HP D30 and upgrade it. Tha is what I did. They are plentiful and cheap.

As for the ignition system, that can be debated to death. I for one would take a modern distributorless ignition any day over a 100 year old design. But that is just my humble opinion.

I'd agree, if the XJ is what you want don't let it stop you. Easy upgrade later.

You will probably never damage the ring gear on a LP D30 with 33" tires. You can always get a lock out hub conversion for the LP D30. With lock out hubs the front driveshaft will only spin when you ingadge 4wd. So the angle on the front drive shaft wont matter. As far as the 0331 head goes I have only heard of one person actually cracking it and that was due to a severe overheat. The 00 and 01 XJ's have electronic ingnition wich is an upgrade over previous years that have distributors. If the XJ you are looking at has the offroad package i.e. 8.25 rear end track lock, gas tank skid, transfer case skid, and the gears have been swaped to 4.10 or 4.56 then I would defenalty buy it and invest in some lock out hubs.

Back