• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Okay another 8.8 Q

ComforableInChaos

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3.07 gears. i want to run an 8.8. i think i should run 4.56.
so in doing this i need to regear both axles. Because i dont think the 8.8 runs anywhere near that.

What are all the gears that 8.8's come with?
i tried looking on sites for ring and pinion and here, but couldn't
find anything.

If it comes down to it then i will regear both and do it right the first time
but if there's any way around it, then i would love to know. 4.10s MAYBE but i'm running 33'' of tire soooooo. Ya know
thanks

explorer 8.8's came with 3.07's to 4.10's depending on the rig/options/engine. There should be a tag on the diff telling you what ratio it is.

Really, it doesn't matter though. You're going to regear it anyways, so who cares what gears you take off and throw away?

i would get the 4.10s it will be cheaper, save oyu some dough. 4.10s on 33s will be closer to stock but you had better stop at 33s, and it wont be fast but it will be livable. On the flip side 4.56 is the best for your setup from what most say but i would question if its worth it, id wait and run it on 4.10s and 33s for a while and go to 4.88s and 35s at some point

i would get the 4.10s it will be cheaper, save oyu some dough. 4.10s on 33s will be closer to stock but you had better stop at 33s, and it wont be fast but it will be livable. On the flip side 4.56 is the best for your setup from what most say but i would question if its worth it, id wait and run it on 4.10s and 33s for a while and go to 4.88s and 35s at some point

so you're saying to regear the front to 4.10, and then later regear both to something decent?

Why not save money/economy and do it right the first time?

Some 8.8" have 4.10, but 4.56 or 4.88 would be much better w/ 33's. Ring & pinions are inexpensive, so I would just find an 8.8 and not worry about what ratio it comes with.

I have 3.07 gears. i want to run an 8.8. i think i should run 4.56.
so in doing this i need to regear both axles. Because i dont think the 8.8 runs anywhere near that.

What are all the gears that 8.8's come with?
i tried looking on sites for ring and pinion and here, but couldn't
find anything.

If it comes down to it then i will regear both and do it right the first time
but if there's any way around it, then i would love to know. 4.10s MAYBE but i'm running 33'' of tire soooooo. Ya know
thanks

if you found an 8.8 w/ 4.10s you could always mount it up and test drive it, if it feels okay regear the front to match, if it is too slugish upgrade. but i would have to agree that 4.56s would be mas bueno

well thank you for the advice. if anyone knows all the gears that explorer 8.8s come with tell me.

thanks again

#1 Search
#2 Read the responses people gave you

How difficult is it? Cal laid it out. 3.07 through 4.10.

What is between 3.07 and 4.10? 3.55 and 3.73 are in between.

This has been covered a million times.

FWIW, I run 4.88s with 33s in XJ, and I'm very glad I did it. I had some reservations about going to that ratio with 33s, but it has turned out perfect. I'm not a big highway cruiser, so I can live with the slightly higher revs at hwy speed. At 65mph I'm between 2400 and 2500 rpms. I plan on 35s for my next tire purchase, and they should be fine there as well. HTH!!

so you're saying to regear the front to 4.10, and then later regear both to something decent?

Why not save money/economy and do it right the first time?

Well im biased because my front axle was toast and i found a good HP30 with 4.10s from a 4 cyl cherokee for $150

Lets see if I can still rattle this stuff off...

Door code gear ratio Vehicle/axle/carrier
91 ...3.27... ranger... 8.8 ...open
92... 3.08... ranger... 8.8 ...open
95 ...3.55 ...ranger... 8.8... open
96 ...3.73 ...ranger... 8.8... open
97 ...4.10... ranger... 8.8... open
98... 4.56... ranger... 8.8... open

R5 ...3.55... ranger... 8.8... LS
R6 ...3.73 ...ranger... 8.8... LS
R7 ...4.10... ranger... 8.8... LS
R8 ...4.56... ranger... 8.8... LS

41... 3.27... explorer... 8.8... open
42 ...4.10... explorer... 8.8... open
43... 3.08... explorer... 8.8... open
44 ...3.73... explorer... 8.8... open
45 ...3.55 ...explorer... 8.8... open
46 ...3.73... explorer... 8.8... open

IIRC:roflmao:

But seriously, this is what you can look for on the door sticker located in the door jamb of Fords. I guess I no longer have the codes for explorer 8.8 LS, but a Google search could quickly yield them for you.

And Ranger 8.8's are like kittens, people give them away for a reason (don't ask me I got it from here:laugh2:)

:wave1:

Last edited:
good info...not trying to highjack the thread here, but IS there any kind of difference between the ranger 8.8s and exploder 8.8s?

Lets see if I can still rattle this stuff off...

Door code gear ratio Vehicle/axle/carrier
91 ...3.27... ranger... 8.8 ...open
92... 3.08... ranger... 8.8 ...open
95 ...3.55 ...ranger... 8.8... open
96 ...3.73 ...ranger... 8.8... open
97 ...4.10... ranger... 8.8... open
98... 4.56... ranger... 8.8... open

R5 ...3.55... ranger... 8.8... LS
R6 ...3.73 ...ranger... 8.8... LS
R7 ...4.10... ranger... 8.8... LS
R8 ...4.56... ranger... 8.8... LS

41... 3.27... explorer... 8.8... open
42 ...4.10... explorer... 8.8... open
43... 3.08... explorer... 8.8... open
44 ...3.73... explorer... 8.8... open
45 ...3.55 ...explorer... 8.8... open
46 ...3.73... explorer... 8.8... open

IIRC:roflmao:

But seriously, this is what you can look for on the door sticker located in the door jamb of Fords. I guess I no longer have the codes for explorer 8.8 LS, but a Google search could quickly yield them for you.

And Ranger 8.8's are like kittens, people give them away for a reason (don't ask me I got it from here:laugh2:)

:wave1:

Well, um, 3.07's are 3.08's. It all depends on how you divide, significant figures, and how you round.

Lets say, a 3.55 gear ratio in a 14 bolt vs a 3.55 gear ratio in a D35. You end up with the same result, but you are dividing many more ring teeth by many more pinion teeth in the 14 bolt than you would in the D35.

I've heard anywhere from 8%-13% difference in the two axles will be fine. It is compensated for with driveline slack, small differences in tire size due to inflation variances, and tire slippage.

Even the early model broncos came with different gear ratios from the factory. 4.09 in the front D30 or D44 and 4.11 in the rear 9" Because Dana and Ford figured their ratios differently, IIRC. Both were functionally 4.10 ratios.

And yes there is a big difference in the ranger vs. explorer axles. Spline count, no disc brakes, and tube thickness iirc.
However i do seem to recall the specs on like 99'or something FX4 ranger 8.8's to be 'gooder' than others for some reason. You may want to look into that further.

But if you've got a trashed rear axle, and no ready replacement, rangers came with a variety of gears that would probably work with whatever you were running before, the lug pattern would match, and these axles are readily available. Just weld on some perches and figure out brake lines and call it done, for the time being.

Remember, 8.8 is only in reference to the size of the ring gear. F150's, Broncos, Crown Vics, Rangers, and i'm sure others (like mustangs) all came with variances of the 8.8 at some time. It replaced the 9" across the board.
Rangers also came with something like 7.5's or something. These are far more common.

Back