• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes instead of locker?

kinlawk

NAXJA Forum User
I have an open 8.25 rear end in my xj. I was wondering if instead of a locker i could alter my emergency brake so there are two levers instead of one( each lever would control one wheel). This way when i am out wheelin any time one of the rear wheels are slipping i can apply the brake to that wheel and send more power to the wheel that is gripping.

This is just an idea that i had the other night. I want your thoughts on this thanks for any help!!!!

I have an open 8.25 rear end in my xj. I was wondering if instead of a locker i could alter my emergency brake so there are two levers instead of one( each lever would control one wheel). This way when i am out wheelin any time one of the rear wheels are slipping i can apply the brake to that wheel and send more power to the wheel that is gripping.

This is just an idea that i had the other night. I want your thoughts on this thanks for any help!!!!
While this is an insightful idea, if your brakes are properly adjusted just playing with the brake pedel will accomplish the same effect.

I see where youre going with this, but I'm thinking by the time you get 2 ebrake cables long enough and rig up two levers you will have spent almost as much as a lunchbox locker. And the lunchbox will be 5,000x better, im not even sure how well the ebrake thing will work???

You're describing turning, aka cutting, brakes. Common on agricultural equipment. Also not usable with an automatic locker, but works well with a selectable locker (like an ARB, Ox, etc.) Having grown up with these, I would not want them to be hand operated. They'd also be some work to set up.

While this is an insightful idea, if your brakes are properly adjusted just playing with the brake pedel will accomplish the same effect.

If the brake are properly adjusted they will apply equal amount of pressure to all 4 wheels on the jeep. I just want to apply pressure to one wheel.

With an ARB and cutting brakes or with the right Transfer case setup you can do maneuvers like this one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPzunPN_Ljs

In theory 2 e-brakes should work. You are thinking about using the e-brake to bias the spinning tire so that it does not spin. You will never be as effective as locker. While it might help in some situations the locker will help in more places.

Lunch box locker will not be much more expensive than 2 e brake setup and much more useful.

Lunch box locker will not be much more expensive than 2 e brake setup and much more useful.
=========================================================
Depends on how much scrap you got around and if you want to use your head and not your wallet.
I did it for dam little. It works very well with the LSD I have. But can be a real hand full with a 5 speed in tight spots. Get a stearing nob.
If you don't like tinkering or want max grip. Get a locker

=========================================================
Depends on how much scrap you got around and if you want to use your head and not your wallet.
I did it for dam little. It works very well with the LSD I have. But can be a real hand full with a 5 speed in tight spots. Get a stearing nob.
If you don't like tinkering or want max grip. Get a locker

You should use your head and know this is an area to use your wallet...

the 2 ebrakes will work a lot better as a traction device if aided by an LSD which is a traction device to start with. seems like a lot of work with not much gain (for a traction device).

This way when i am out wheelin any time one of the rear wheels are slipping i can apply the brake to that wheel and send more power to the wheel that is gripping.

This is what I ended up with last time I tried to use the brakes to try to lock up the spinning tire to send more power to the wheel that is gripping. I've seen this on a number of cases.
100_0389.jpg

Back in the mid 70's someone made a set up so you could apply brake to any corner you wanted to. Must be a reason there no around any more. The system used a solnoid on each wheel.

Back in the mid 70's someone made a set up so you could apply brake to any corner you wanted to. Must be a reason there no around any more. The system used a solnoid on each wheel.

Cutting brakes are HUGE in competition. Even the CJ guys use them. Not an electrical system, just hydraulic with levers up by the driver. Not for use in place of lockers, but I think you could easily fake it...sometimes.

Some newer cars do this automatically, my moms Toyota Highlander will brake each wheel individually and straighten out the car if it senses slipping.

-Alex

You're talking about line locks. Mico is one of the big manufacturers, and is still around. I know they make both manual lever operated locks and electric solenoid activated locks.

Back