• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm Limit Straps

RE-xtremeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching but havent really found any specifics on limit strap mounting locations. I just installed a clayton long arm and have the RE 5.5" kit with 1.75" coil spacers. I was thinking about mounting the lower end of the strap to UCA bolt where it meets the lower radius arm and mount the top to the fatory UCA framt mount. Possibly inserting a spacer block between the frame and intide mounting flange to distribute the weight.

Im sure someone has a similar setup so im looking more or better mounting ideas. Pics tell a thousand words..

I have been searching but havent really found any specifics on limit strap mounting locations. I just installed a clayton long arm and have the RE 5.5" kit with 1.75" coil spacers. I was thinking about mounting the lower end of the strap to UCA bolt where it meets the lower radius arm and mount the top to the fatory UCA framt mount. Possibly inserting a spacer block between the frame and intide mounting flange to distribute the weight.

Im sure someone has a similar setup so im looking more or better mounting ideas. Pics tell a thousand words..

I am wondering where to mount limiting straps also. Bump for some possible input.

The further up the arm the more leverage the axle has on the limit strap the stronger the strap is going to need to be. Probably not a big deal with stock running gear but if you are running 1 tons the axles and tires can weigh quite a bit.

I mounted mine right behind the lower axle side bushing. the top is mounted behind my bump stop. Here's a pic of how i did it.

EDIT: its hard to see in the pic but the upper mount is welded to the plating on the unibody and has a cross bolt holding it in place.

1000964yg9.jpg

Have you looked at the sway bar link mounts on the axle end? Was the easiest spot for me. Just don't go cheap on the straps. Their an important entity.

Use the holes by the front brakeline body mounts. I used some old seat belt bolts, tapped the hole at 7/16NF and secured it to there. You will have to figure out the length of your stap though. I mounted the other end to the bolts on the long arm axle mount.

Well I havn't tried it on the trail due to many other issues but it worked on the RTI ramp testing it!

Drill whole in the center of 4 hockey pucks. 2 Per side and then drilled and tapped the tower inside of the coil and bolted them in. The pucks are too small for the top of the coil to go through but small enough for the large part. Securily bolt the bottom of the coil down and the coil acts as your limiting strap ;) the reason for 2 pucks per side is that it makes them to thick to fit between the coils when stretched.

KSXJ- thats an interesting mounting idea but I wonder how long that would hold up if you drop the axle on it a few times. Also, what did you do for bump stops after that mod??

Did you put a rubber bumper inside the bottom of the coil?

Back