• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" Dedicated Snow Tire?

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody make a 33" dedicated snow tire? The largest I can find is 31", and with my 4.88s, I'm not too hot on that. I'll probably end up with a siped and studded mud tire, but I'd prefer dedicated snow sneakers.

I run Dunlaps in the snow I've heard Cooper has a pretty good tire also. I think it's the SST or something like that. Mine are 32's but I'm sure they come in 33 size.

Not dedicated, but a BFG A/T will be your best friend in the snow.
I'm not sure whether to call B/S or not, I had some Goodyear Wrangler A/t's that were useless in deep snow. DEDICATED means big deep self cleaning lugs. Not gonna find that in a A/T.

I'm not sure whether to call B/S or not, I had some Goodyear Wrangler A/t's that were useless in deep snow. DEDICATED means big deep self cleaning lugs. Not gonna find that in a A/T.

You can call BS, but I didn't say Goodyear Wranglers, I said BFG A/Ts. But I will call BS on this "DEDICATED means big deep self cleaning lugs". You just described a good mud tire, not a snow tire.

Not dedicated snow shoe but I am quite happy with my MTRs I have had them sipped and they wheel very well in the deep stuff. Wet & Slushy stuff on the pavement can be a bit hairy at times, but deep snow they go very well.

By snow are you referring to the sloppy stuff that happens on pavement when it snows or breaking new trails while snow wheeling?

You can call BS, but I didn't say Goodyear Wranglers, I said BFG A/Ts. But I will call BS on this "DEDICATED means big deep self cleaning lugs". You just described a good mud tire, not a snow tire.
A mud tire makes a great deep snow tire in my opinion. But hey I live Iowa, so what do I know. We don't get snow here, lol.

I can say from personal experience that BFG ATs are downright suicidal on ice. It's fun trying to get up a hill coated in black ice with all four tires spinning. I'm looking for a DEDICATED studable snow tire with a soft winter compound that might actually provide some little bit of traction on the black ice that we so regularly get in Vermont.

Does anybody make 33" dedicated snow tires?

I can say from personal experience that BFG ATs are downright suicidal on ice. It's fun trying to get up a hill coated in black ice with all four tires spinning. I'm looking for a DEDICATED studable snow tire with a soft winter compound that might actually provide some little bit of traction on the black ice that we so regularly get in Vermont.

Does anybody make 33" dedicated snow tires?

You didn't say jack shit about black ice. Thats a whole 'nother ball game. You need a studded tire, no question. But I do not think you are gonna find that in a 33.

Snow tires would really be more accurately described as ice tires since the main difference is the softer rubber compound. I mean take the ice out of the picture and a mudder probably is the best tire for snow. The problem with Vermont is that it gets the whole spectrum of winter weather, from champaign powder to frozen slush to glare ice. But IMO glare ice is the lowest common denominator so that's what I plan for. Seems weird that no tire companies make a 33" snow tire :( I'd buy it...

Snow tires would really be more accurately described as ice tires since the main difference is the softer rubber compound. I mean take the ice out of the picture and a mudder probably is the best tire for snow. The problem with Vermont is that it gets the whole spectrum of winter weather, from champaign powder to frozen slush to glare ice. But IMO glare ice is the lowest common denominator so that's what I plan for. Seems weird that no tire companies make a 33" snow tire :( I'd buy it...

Not a large enough market for such a beast. How many people live in states where a studdable snow tire is cost effectively useful, and have a vehicle that can utilize it in larger than an OEM tire size................:dunno:

I have never had any problems with the Dunlop Radial Rover RV XT. Severe winter rated snow tire. 33x12.50R16 LT Never been stuck in up to 3' of snow in my Dodge Ram with them. Balancing can be a PIA though.
Although, not sure it is studable

I run into the same challenge here in Colorado's front range. There's snow, but usually lingering patches of ice. It's difficult to find the best of both worlds.

Here's an option that might cover it. When I buy my "new" XJ, if it's got stockers, I may just look buy some:

http://www.greendiamondtire.com/productswest2.htmlhttp://www.greendiamondtire.com/

The nice thing is that I think you can run these all year.

Last edited:
We do ALOT of snow wheeling up here in the NW, and the Trxus are by far the best tire for the snow. Ask several NW Chapter people, they are the shit.

I've heard several first hand stories of how great the Trxus are in the winter. No personal experience though. I had a set but I also had winter tires so I ran those in the winter.

If you're willing to go to 16" metric you can find bigger than 31". After a quick search I see that Cooper makes a 265/75R16 winter tire which is equal to a 32x10.5" tire.

Back