• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need New Street Tire Suggestions

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't sure about which forum to post this in...

My Toyo Open Country A/T's are getting low on tread so its time to start looking at a new set of tires. They have been a great all around tire, and I will go as far as to say that they have consistently out performed my old BFG A/T's. However, I really want to go with a more streetable, smoother riding tire this time around. I have the 3" OME suspension and I want tires that are going to make this thing ride even better. My driving is 95% city and full of bumpy roads. I don't think I'm going to be wheeling hardly at all anymore since I can't afford to keep paying for broken parts. I will mostly be using it off pavement for light trails and to get to camping spots. I was looking at the Michelin LTX's since they seem to be close to what I am looking for. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...

I'd only go with two tires. Either:
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's
or
Pirelli Scorpion ATR's

I've had both. I'm currently on the Pirelli's and I love em. When you feel them they're REALLY soft. They're compound is 520 though and suprisingly, I've still got at least half my tread left after about 30K which is a lot more than I got out of my Revo's and they were a lot harder. Both suprised me in the mud and snow but you can tell by the tread width of the Scorpions that they're better suited for snow and ice traction. And I think they're as quiet as A/T's will ever be. I keep looking for a better A/T tire and I can't find one.

You can't go wrong with the LTX. That is an outstanding tire. It rides great, has a great tread life, quiet, and performs well in light offroad as well. I have had them on my Jeep before, and that is the tire we keep on our suburban.

also consider the BFG long trail or whatever it is called. I have a friend who absolutely loves those as well. I like to think of BFG as Michelin's sport group.

I think as far as tire for the dollar those two will be your best bet. I tend to try to stay away from good year.

I just put a set ofLT235 GY AT/D2's on the ZJ, nice riding tire, got all 4 at sams club for $400 and change out the door. No idea how they are in snow yet though. They have a tighter tread and are much quieter than the AT/KO's I have on the other 3 jeeps. They are also pretty good in the woods. I took the ZJ off road and played a bit on some forest trails up here then took it to the car wash before I brought it back home so the wife would not have a fit.

Times 3 on the Pirelli Scorpions, those were awesome tires, then sears stopped selling them and the pirelli dealers wanted $170 a tire, screw that, I went to dunlops which are a hard tire wear wise, I don't know if Dunlop still makes them but their Qualifier GT's were also a good tire, they were also a hard compound that lasted 80,000mi, I wore out 4 sets on my S10. I also had them on a couple other trucks I owned, they were even passable in the snow.

I REALLY like the BF Goodrich Long Trail's. I'd been a Michelin guy for a long time, but I like this set of BFG's just as well. I like them just as well as the set of M LTX's I had at one time.

Sam's Club has them cheap too.

you can find some great off-brand A/T tires at the local tire shops or sam's club, costco, pepboys, etc. for good prices. I had a set of Falken A/T's that were excellent awhile back. I forget the exact model, but they looked good and lasted long. I really liked my BFG A/T's, rode incredibly smooth.

I can vouch for the LTXs. My good friend has had them on his full-size Chevy for over 2 years an they still have tones of tread left. Great solid tire.

We had BFG Long Trails on our 2005 Pathfinder and they lasted about 35k with roatating ever 5-6k.

I've got LTXs on my DD 4-Runner. Excellent tires. One is almost bald and still rides good. They have been great in the snow and on wet pavement. I don't do any wheeling with this vehicle, but I've driven up alot of hills covered in wet grass and they've done great.

i have dunlop radial rover rv/xt's and they have been great so far. got a great deal on them is what convinced me at first but they ride nice and perform great on wet pavement and in light mud.

awhen my toyo ats wore out i bought a set of procomp extreme ats because they were on sale i got 4 31s delivered for 480.00. they ride betterthans the toyos and are quiet, dont know how long they will last, but am extremely happy sp far, they dont pick up gr avel as bad as the toyos either hth

Back