• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WATER PUMP PULLEY REMOVAL. am i stupid>?

DangerXJ00

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj and I'm trying to replace the water pump. How or what do you use to get this pulley off the water pump? The fan is not off of this pulley. Can any one give me ideas or have pictures of anything like this?

thanks

loosen the bolts while the belt is still on, it will help keep the pump from turning. do the same when putting it back on, but DONT forget to tighten them all the way down after you get the belt back on.

two wrenches turning against each other will allow you to get three of them loose if the belt's already off. For the fourth, leave two bolts partially in and wedge a long screwdriver against them to hold the pulley. It's much easier to do than explain, but with a little "cussin' and fussin'" you'll get it.

loosen the bolts while the belt is still on, it will help keep the pump from turning. do the same when putting it back on, but DONT forget to tighten them all the way down after you get the belt back on.
shorty-
two wrenches turning against each other will allow you to get three of them loose if the belt's already off. For the fourth, leave two bolts partially in and wedge a long screwdriver against them to hold the pulley. It's much easier to do than explain, but with a little "cussin' and fussin'" you'll get it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help but; that's actually what a spanner wrench is for. It goes into the two small holes in the middle of the pulley and allows you to hold the pulley in place while you loosen the bolts with a socket. You can get them at a sears or online. We did not have one but we took a piece of flat steel after we measured the two holes in the middle of the pulley and drilled two holes in the flat piece dropped in two bolts and welded them to the piece of steel. Vwalah homemade spanner wrench; cost; priceless until..my current dilemma.

I've gotten the bolts out of the pulley for that attaches to the water pump. My problem is THE PULLEY will not come off of the water pump. (Yes it's supposed to come off.) They don't make a special press tool to get it off and I'm having hard time finding information. It is definitely on there good I feel. I dont want to bend of F**k up the pulley. I already know the parts store doesn't have them and I dont want to put a bent pulley back on my new water pump.

Has anyone done this and can or been through it. I know it comes straight off but what do I have to do to get it off. Tried lube; hitting with a dead blow, even tried a little bit of heat and I've got nothing so far. Anyone w/ideas or comments love to hear back

Thanks guys

When I last did my water pump the dam thing fell off and rolled underneath. If you have the bolts out, nuts off, etc it should come right off.

if its similar to the pulley on a 90, i made a wrench with two pins, like Danger says, the wrench lasted 2 waterpumps. Luckily i bought a strap wrench from sears between #1 and #2, so when the wrench broke i went to the strap wrench (which worked LIKE MAGIC, i might add)

Maybe the pully is seized to the pump? That's about all I can think of why it would stay attached to the pump.

You aren't trying to remove the bearings and the shaft the pully bolts to are you?

I don't know if it is the same situation but I got a new pump several years ago that came with a pulley with an incorrect number of grooves for our belts. I couldn't figure out how to get it off to swap with the old pulley. Took it back to O'Reillys where I bought it and they had a tool specifically for this job (I didn't see what it looked like). They swapped it out in a couple of minutes.

Maybe the pully is seized to the pump? That's about all I can think of why it would stay attached to the pump.

You aren't trying to remove the bearings and the shaft the pully bolts to are you?
Ditto. Exactly what I'm thinking.

I don't know if it is the same situation but I got a new pump several years ago that came with a pulley with an incorrect number of grooves for our belts. I couldn't figure out how to get it off to swap with the old pulley. Took it back to O'Reillys where I bought it and they had a tool specifically for this job (I didn't see what it looked like). They swapped it out in a couple of minutes.
Off the top of my head, the XJ water pump is Reverse rotation and has a smooth pulley on it. YJ pumps used a v-belt and a 'normal' rotation water pump. You sure you've got the right one?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I've never seen a water pump for a Jeep I6 that came with a pulley attached. Since the OP is from the NE where corrosion is quite common, I suspect the pulley is seized to the shaft. I would try penetrating oil and/or heat to get the pulley to come loose. since you're replacing the water pump, you can give it a few thumps without worrying about damage to the bearings, but as you've noted, you don't want to tweak the pulley.

I've never seen a water pump for a Jeep I6 that came with a pulley attached. Since the OP is from the NE where corrosion is quite common, I suspect the pulley is seized to the shaft. I would try penetrating oil and/or heat to get the pulley to come loose. since you're replacing the water pump, you can give it a few thumps without worrying about damage to the bearings, but as you've noted, you don't want to tweak the pulley.

x2

And since they're not pressed on, I'd locate another one to install with the new pump (with some antiseize compound underneath).

Yucca-Man, you are, of course, correct. I was thinking of an alternator -- just proves that I'm getting way too old to try to give advice on this forum!

Yucca-Man, you are, of course, correct. I was thinking of an alternator -- just proves that I'm getting way too old to try to give advice on this forum!
The other one is the power steering pulley, had to replace a PS pump on the TJ and I just took the old one with pulley to the parts store and they did it right there.

The OP said in the first post that the fan was still on the pulley, but says later that he's pulled the bolts (I assume he means the studs). Can we get some clarification on that?

Assuming the fan and studs are removed, I suppose it could be seized where the shaft protrudes just slightly through the pulley? Mine fell off when I removed the fan, and again later when I changed the pump.

HEY GUYS THANKS A SHITLOAD FOR ALL THE HELP AND RESPONSE TO MY POST.

I GOT IT OFF!!! last night before I ended the evening my buddy and I sprayed the shit out of it with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Today we were able to get it to budge and the pulley came off no problem.

To clarify for hubs97xj the fan assembly is not on the water pump pulley it is off to the left and is spun by the serp belt. It's equipped with the electric fan.

Also the pulley off the water pump is smooth.

Thanks again she's running beautiful no leaks or anything now!

Now if i can only get that damn coolant GREEN again. Dirty coolant flushed it seems like a gazillion times myself; but i am going to go have it hooked up to an auto flush machine at a shop and hopefully that will help me.

thanks again for all the help!

HEY GUYS THANKS A SHITLOAD FOR ALL THE HELP AND RESPONSE TO MY POST.

I GOT IT OFF!!! last night before I ended the evening my buddy and I sprayed the shit out of it with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Today we were able to get it to budge and the pulley came off no problem.

To clarify for hubs97xj the fan assembly is not on the water pump pulley it is off to the left and is spun by the serp belt. It's equipped with the electric fan.

Also the pulley off the water pump is smooth.

Thanks again she's running beautiful no leaks or anything now!

Now if i can only get that damn coolant GREEN again. Dirty coolant flushed it seems like a gazillion times myself; but i am going to go have it hooked up to an auto flush machine at a shop and hopefully that will help me.

thanks again for all the help!

Prestone and Zerex both make a 7 hour flush, you put pure water in and add the bottle of cleaner then drive it for 7 hours, then install the prestone backflush T fitting and back flush it till it runs clear. Once you drain it again refill it with DISTILLED water and ethel glycol in a 50.50 mix. Don't forget to clean the over flow bottle, I use a sock on a stick and fantastic.

Just noticed, you are in Vermont, better pick a warm day to do this, the cleaner and water will freeze over night if it gets that cold.

Back