• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 AX15 shifter disassembly

nblanton

NAXJA Forum User
I destroyed my lower shift boot while replacing my clutch. I was wondering if there is any, easy or otherwise, way to take the upper portion of the shifter off of the lower portion to remove the boot, if I can find a replacement which, according to the dealer here in Raleigh, is not available. I guess I can attempt to repair it, but first I need to get it out of there. I have searched and haven't found any thing about how the shifter comes apart. I also have a copy of the AX15 FSM. Thanks.

I've heard people have used a couple of small screwdrivers to move the tabs holding the two shifter halfs together but that didn't work for me. I ended up just streching the inner shift boot over the shifter (it will stretch that wide without breaking ... at least when new). I probably purchased the last available inner shift boot in the country about a year ago. I had to call each of the three dealers at the time that had one remaining in inventory until one dealer (in Maryland) agreed to mail his to me. The dealer in Atlanta may still have his but he won't sell to anyone outside of his area. You can make one out of rubber, it's not a complicated piece. Use your old one as a template. Good luck.

Back