• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 60

Front or Rear? What is the "good price"?
No drawbacks other than what will/won't work with your setup.

Things to consider:
-Width?
-Bolt Pattern?
-Huge Stock Drum Brakes? Or Discs?
-Gearing?

Last edited:
150$ for everything minus pads and drums. it is a 4.10 out of a 78 powerwagon. I have an 89 4.0 XJ with a lot of cutting to fit 33s but no real lift (yet) it is off road only. curently have the stock D30 front (will have to find a 4.10 setup to replace that) and the stock D35 rear. so it will be an upgrade regardless, just dont know if it will hurt the function even though it will help the strength.

Cant go wrong with a 60. I've pretty much made up my mind on going that route.

My 60 is going to be narrow for the stock 60.5" width. TNT UBE's, disc conversion from summit, USA Alloy 35 spline axles, Detroit and 4.88's.

Just waiting for the perfect donor.

150$ for everything minus pads and drums. it is a 4.10 out of a 78 powerwagon. I have an 89 4.0 XJ with a lot of cutting to fit 33s but no real lift (yet) it is off road only. curently have the stock D30 front (will have to find a 4.10 setup to replace that) and the stock D35 rear. so it will be an upgrade regardless, just dont know if it will hurt the function even though it will help the strength.
Your problem is going to be the bolt pattern and the width issues until something happens with that D30. Honestly, for 33s, find an XJ D44 or an 8.8 and keep it small and low for awhile longer.
Cant go wrong with a 60. I've pretty much made up my mind on going that route.
My 60 is going to be narrow for the stock 60.5" width. TNT UBE's, disc conversion from summit, USA Alloy 35 spline axles, Detroit and 4.88's.
Just waiting for the perfect donor.
Few issues with those thoughts:
1) TNT UBE's are overpriced and not worth it, IMO.
2) Disc conversion from Summit? Much cheaper options out there. My setup was $290 shipped, or would have been $490 had I gone with an e-brake setup.
3) Alloy USA currently doesn't make FF D60 shafts. So unless you are going to a SF (IMO, why?), look elsewhere.
4) Perfect donor? That is debatable, had my rear D60 not been almost free I'd have looked for a CUCV 14bolt with 4.56s and a detroit already in it. Those can be had for about $500 if you look in the right places.

Where did you get your disk setup? Are the rotors available in 5x4.5? I havent looked into going Full Float, is it alot more $? Will I be able to keep a 5x4.5 bolt pattern?
My disc setup came off a vendor on the PBB. Quick check and it looks like his price recently went up to $315 shipped. Link
Most stock D60s are FF so you are already there. Unless you are handy in the machine shop, 8x6.5" is your only option. If you are, the only other I've seen is a 6x5.5". 5x4.5" simply isn't possible on a FF axle due to the flange and the diameter of the mounting surface required in the rotor.
To get the 5x4.5" bolt pattern you'll have to go a custom SF setup which can be quite costly. If you are going to be dumping that kinda cash into it, I'd look into a a 5x5.5" or 8x6.5" pattern, due to the better selection of wheels.

overpriced is relative.
im very happy with the way my d44 came out with ube's, aethetics alone are worth the $120!

however i think your gonna be overkill with the 60, lots of people run it, but if you are looking at it in a value sense, you may be digging your own grave.
the minute you got a build d60 front, you will need a 1ton rear to match! then a hardcore rig to handle them! then transfer case mods, slipperly slope!

however, its been well documented, the d60 is a great hardcore axle, IF you can handle it!
worst case scenario, flip the 60, theyre highly desireable and im sure would sell well.

Last edited:
overpriced is relative.
im very happy with the way my d44 came out with ube's, aethetics alone are worth the $120!
Eh, I'm not running leaf springs anymore anyway... so no matter to me. :D
Still if I was running them I'd stick with the stock style mounts and u-bolts for under $40.

After your edit... ;)
however i think your gonna be overkill with the 60, lots of people run it, but if you are looking at it in a value sense, you may be digging your own grave.
Like I mentioned above, for 33s, I agree no need for a D60.
the minute you got a build d60 front, you will need a 1ton rear to match! then a hardcore rig to handle them! then transfer case mods, slipperly slope!
Talking about rear here, but right on with the D60 front. Ain't cheap, stay small for longer. I almost wish I had. Heck then I could be wheelin'!
however, its been well documented, the d60 is a great hardcore axle, IF you can handle it!
worst case scenario, flip the 60, theyre highly desireable and im sure would sell well.
Rear D60s like the OP is talking about are almost a dime a half dozen here. $100-150 gets you a clean stock one around me.

That thing is gonna be a rock grabber on 35s or less... you better be ready to run some deep ass gears and massive tires for that axle.
Would I run 35s on my D60s? Heck no, but it is all relative. I'd be willing to bet the ground clearance on a D60 with 35s is very similar to that of someone with a 8.25 and 235s.

i dont think anything wrong has been said, i only try to give a little insight
that being said, i still run modified xj axles so dont listen to me

how about a simple litmus test!
are you trying to build a hardcore rock crawler.... if yes... buy it and build it!

i dont think anything wrong has been said, i only try to give a little insight
that being said, i still run modified xj axles so dont listen to me
Nothing wrong with that! Like I have said probably a hundred time in different threads (and already in this one); I almost wish I was still at that point.
how about a simple litmus test!
are you trying to build a hardcore rock crawler.... if yes... buy it and build it!
Very good point, but it doesn't have to be super duper ultra hardcore to want or need D60s.

That dana 60 could be a lot weaker than a 44. Check the spline count Im thinking that its probably a lower spline count like a 19 spline, in that case its only worth its weight for scrap. If its a 30 spline its a fairly good axle.

I was told it is a 35 spline. the xj is a off road only and I want to keep it cheap. I have less than 2500 in it now and I am trying more than I should with stock axles. I just dont want to blow the 35 by being overconfident of what it can take (I have a lead foot). I would rather chalenge my ability than the strength of the metal. If it doesnt break you can always winch it off and try again.

Dana 60 is not over kill, I run 32's on mine currently and have no issues. In fact 32s with 4.56 = awesome MPG's for me.
The only real issue to worry about is if you do not "shave" your pumpkin you will have a large loss of clearance that will grab rocks and dirt.
you can convert to disc brakes for under $200 easy with ebrakes. Get the kit from Ruff Stuff ($50) and a pair of calipers from a '73 - '85 GM truck front (should be cheap at a junk yard) then get a pair of new front rotors for the same year group from parts store (ultra cheap for new ones) and mount using all your existing brak plumbing for the XJ. It all fits fine and if you need a picture I can take one tonite for you of my setup so you can see.
Installing the Dana 60 will not cause you to have to change DS's like a D44 would. You do need to watch out that the axle will lift your rear over 2" by itself though! Buy new perchs from anyone for the 3" axle tube and you will be pretty much done.

If you want ebrakes get calipers from an '83 to '87 cadillac deville. Then when you get your disk brake brackets (I buy my junk from ruff stuff) tell them you need it spaced for about 5 1/4 eye to eye for the caliper mount. Standard fit is 7" (or so) for the GM front calipers.
You can connect the original XJ ebrake right up to it without too much headache.

For you a d60 is no good. Sure 150 for it isnt bad but after you get this under your jeep need another axle to match it fab everything get wheels and bigger tires bla bla bla. It going to end up costing you in the long run. Like others said if you want go 8.8 or 44 or hell wheel it the way it is and fix it when you need to.

Back