• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges Sticking and Working on and off

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a problem and I have researched, but still need to ask. This happens alot on the newer XJs, but I've got a 1988.

I have the full cluster and yesterday on the drive in all the gauges just sorta froze, except the speedo. The tach was at zero, the others froze somewhere along the way. Turned if off and on and nothing helped. Went back out at 5PM and they worked.

This morning they didn't work. Turned it off and restarted and they worked. Who knows what will happen as I head out from the office now.

What could it be? Somewhere people mentioned checking my grounds. What does that mean? What grounds? How do I check them?

Thanks ahead of time.

I would check the big junction block . I had an issue in a 97 xj with corrosion in the connection. Pull it apart and clean it. A little bit of dielectric grease. In fact mine was so bad that I began splicing jumpers around the J-block.

Hallo. I think ,he ment the big connector on the firewall.:dunno:
About checking the grounds. You can start to clean every contact to the frame. In the enginebay and under the dash.
I do that already for many years and it is a common maintenance item. Remove the plastic insidepanels and you will find them. good luck.

Last edited:
Back