• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Pressure

rockjockphatts

NAXJA Forum User
I believe this still falls into the OEM tech...

I upped the tire size to 235 75 15...I know, big deal.

The sticker on the door(the one for tire pressure) reads 33 psi for 215 75 15. Should I use 33 psi for my new 235 tires? Or something else?

you should run the psi that makes your tires wear evenly. Try coloring in a portion of the tread and drive around until you see the color wear away and adjust from there. If the color is wearing in the middle air down and vice versa.

you should run the psi that makes your tires wear evenly. Try coloring in a portion of the tread and drive around until you see the color wear away and adjust from there. If the color is wearing in the middle air down and vice versa.
i RUN 33 X12.5S to get even tread contact I have to run at 23psi even thought it says like 35 on the side of the tire.

I'd stay with 33 if I were you. What is on the side of the tire is not real useful; there are plenty of different applications for the same tire so the mfg. has to make the proper call on what to run them at for best life of tire, safety and OEM performance.

The PSI on the side of the tire I always thought was the Max psi the tire can handle. If your max is 35 and you run 35, when you brake hard extra weight is on the front increasing the psi. Or, if you hit a hard bump with alot of gear loaded in the back...

Im surprised how many people go by whats on the side of the tire, must be like driving around on concrete wheels.

As it says on the sidewall, Max psi is max pressure if carrying the maximum load on the tire. What has worked for me is to chalk my tires. I do this with all my vehicles.
Draw a straight line across the tread of your tire(s). Then drive on a straight and level stretch of road. Get out and look how the chalk has worn and, as reelbig has suggested, adjust your pressure accordingly.

way too much - in my 35 bfg mt's i run 23-25 on road - rides much better and with proper alignment and roation i have gotten great tire wear

Hmm those are good suggestions. I run my 31x10.5 BFG All terrains at 35psi and I haven't had any problems, but then it's only ever seen pavement...

Back