• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where in OC to get Axle machining done?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
First, DONT say Currie. They are being useless to me, as always...

I have a set of Yukon new 8.8 shafts and need the alxe just after the splines reduced to the spline minor dia for about .25" after the splines taper. Basically I need 1.6" of splines or free moment area on the splines and Yukon shafts came with 1.4".

So, I called the obvious places and one tells me they dont want to be liable, for what? the other doesnt do that type of work.. Umm..

So anyone ever have any axle shaft work done in the OC?

I need basically this done...
axlemod.jpg

Last edited:
GSequoia said:
Call Currie.

:illegalflipoffsmilie:

Like I said I did Call the Obvious! But like what seems to be always, they just fail me. This time they said, blaw blaw blaw.. yada yada yada... Well the shop guy said (Like he understands engwish) he didnt want to touch them because they are c-clip, Blaw Blaw Blaw... Yada yada yada.. And also we dont want to be liable for them..

WTF liable? Just like everything else they do, it comes with a disclaimer.. :dunno:
So like more times then not... Currie =:looser:

safely? lol

Just dont want the splines fubared..

And so heat-treating goes through the alxe right? SO milling/lathe'ing that amount off, will it reduce the strength of the heat treating? I know the material that is being removed will slightly effect it but just dont want to mess with the heat treating...

ok well now I feel dumb, but its not my fault...

SO tonight I get home and pull the axles completely out of the yukon box.. I find that the one that I was only pulling clear of the packaging enough to measure the splines on, well its a STOCK 8.8 Ford axle with studs even. And the other one in the box is a nice yukon machined axle with about 1.85 splines on it. All I needed was 1.58.

So I called yukon/randy's.. They must have fu'ed up and shipped one stocker and one 1541( I think thats what theirs are). They are sendinig out a new one to replace the stocker. SO I am cool I think. No need to get/have any machining done...

:soapbox:

BrettM said:
what's the purpose of the additional spline length vs stock?

not knowing that this is the Exact reason but from a mechanical POV..

The ECTED has 2 splined gears in the carrier for each axle. I think that due to that and the fact that there are posi clutches between each of those gears, that the over all thickness of the inner gear to outer gear for Each axle is therefore thicker.

So when you slide in a c-clip axle, it need to slide far enough to slip the clip in then pull it out to engage it and to fit the cross pin in there. Well without suffecient Splined length I think the thicker overall (or futher to the axle end - end gear) makes it needed to have the amount of spline to allow the axle to slide in far enough to engage the clip before bottoming out on the splines.

Thats my best guess and I think why..

Back