• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Confusion about Auburn ECTED....

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i know this isnt a locker, but a traction assist device rather, but i was wondering a couple things...

1) How many miles are you ECTED guys getting out of these before you have to rebuild the spring packs?
2) I'm a little confused as to if its like a single switch from LSD to "super tight" LSD, or can I choose different places in between?
3) What all else do I need to install this piece? Do I need a new carrier or is it a full carrier replacement? Do I have to set up the gears? ... Basically I'm asking if I can install this piece myself with simple tools similarly to front Aussies...

Thanks for the help guys

It's a full carrier, so it doesn't install like an Aussie. I'm not a huge fan of the Ecteds. I've seen a lot of failures. Good for some basic wheeling, but they don't hold up well to abuse.

You don't have to take the pinion out, but when you replace the carrier, you may have to shim it to get your backlash correct.

Yea i figured it was a carrier replacement, just checking. Same with backlash but i think with some help that shouldnt be too hard. Do you guys know how many miles can be expected out of these? Or do you know if there is an "in between" for engagement?

Hmm well i have heard they really aren't designed for 35" or larger tires, and i really dont need an LSD as i dont drive much in snow if at all. I have also heard there are a few bugs. I will probably end up running a Eaton E-locker. I know these are pretty decently strong, but in my 31 splined 8.8 (at least once i get it) will it become the weak link? I have heard one end of the inner shaft inserts are smaller? Or maybe this was the auburn i cant quite remember. Can anyone clarify this or offer advice as to its strength?

Edit: its between $100-200 more depending on where you go. OXs can be had for hte same price as the e-locker, i may do that since they come with a nice strong diff cover which would eliminate the need for an extra $100-120 diff cover. I do not want an arb though due to the compressor stuff and the extra cost. I would have really liked to go with the ected but since its really not rated to run 35s and the packs will wear out over time i think cost wise it may be more expensive in the long run. OXs though seem to have some problems IIRC, i should look into these more i think...

Hey guys, i know this isnt a locker, but a traction assist device rather, but i was wondering a couple things...

1) How many miles are you ECTED guys getting out of these before you have to rebuild the spring packs?
2) I'm a little confused as to if its like a single switch from LSD to "super tight" LSD, or can I choose different places in between?
3) What all else do I need to install this piece? Do I need a new carrier or is it a full carrier replacement? Do I have to set up the gears? ... Basically I'm asking if I can install this piece myself with simple tools similarly to front Aussies...

Thanks for the help guys

Dude you are way off!!!!!:doh: The Ected IS a locker!!!! Same as the Eaton E-Locker!! They work great too!!

No it's not even close to an E-Locker. Ected uses clutches to engage both axles. Clutches wear out and have to be replaced. The ECTED is not a locker! It does not mechanically lock the left and right axles together. The name says it all, Electrically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential. I've had guys call me and ask about installing them and I won't touch 'em. Seen them in action (or inaction) in Colorado and in Moab, Slippage was the name of the game. Dirt roads and mud, sure. Rocks...never.

http://www.auburngear.com/oemdifferentials/ected.aspx
This site details the operation of the ECTED assembly. Read it.:us:

Thanks for the info BUT if you read it all, it does say spool/locker mode!! Sounds like a locker to me......and I have seen them in action THEY WORK GREAT!! It is either limited slip or full lock!! How they get it to lock is a mute point if it locks, which it does. The E-Locker could be labeled Electrically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential but that would cause legal problems for Eaton.

Last edited:
Well they do see slippage, so lets put the ECTED apart from the pack for a while.... How would you guys stack the E-locker against the OX locker?

Well they do see slippage, so lets put the ECTED apart from the pack for a while.... How would you guys stack the E-locker against the OX locker?

If you are going to spend that kind of money, you might as well go with what is proven!! ARB is the best out there, OX is right there too!! I run an OX and love it!! I am planning on running ARB front and rear soon! Eaton is a very good locker, one of the fellas in my club runs one and it has performed great sofar!!

Thanks for the info BUT if you read it all, it does say spool/locker mode!! Sounds like a locker to me......and I have seen them in action THEY WORK GREAT!! It is either limited slip or full lock!! How they get it to lock is a mute point if it locks, which it does. The E-Locker could be labeled Electrically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential but that would cause legal problems for Eaton.

i know of atleast 3 ecteds locally that do not work properly, either dont lock up or lock up at the worst time and snap a shaft(locker was on but one tire was spinning, suddenly locker engages and snap) theve been sent back either rebiult or replaced and still dont work right, there absolutly junk, ones im talkin about were in a D30, D44 and Ford 8.8, all different installers

E-Locker does it with juice, Ox does it with your hand.:D The OX has the advantage of an included diff cover. Very beefy piece, too. Either option requires an actuator (switch,lever) routed to the driver. Both are stout units and the choice really boils down to price. Just remember, if you want an E-Locker, the high zoot diff cover is extra.:us:

If you read and interpret the info on that page I posted this is what you would get:
the ball bearings ramp up and force the friction clutches together harder than the springs in the LSD normally do. This means the there is no mechanical connection between the L & R axle shafts. A mechanical connection is required to fully transmit the torque equally to each tire regardless of traction. You'll still slip with a heavy foot and traction.:us:

Back