• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering noise only when turning left '01

tlight1985

NAXJA Forum User
I get a growling/whining sound when turning left. Seems worsen the more quickly I turn the wheel, and it only occurs when driving slowly as in a parking lot. I suspected the pump, but wouldn't it whine in both directions if that were the case? Also there's a small vibration in the wheel along with this sound, and slightly increased steering effort. Anybody know what might be causing this? Mine is an '01 sport

Good to hear, I just figured since it was only in one direction I could rule the pump/fluid. Will check on that. Much appreciated!

mine does the same thing, it's kind of a goaning noise (not the kind the pump makes), the only thing is that it was a reman--should i get a new one from cardone? additionally, it's locked up in one direction on me twice. Both times at low rpm (idle)/low speed and just after shifting into drive. I've also found that it seems the pump isn't providing enough pressure/flow to turn the gearbox until I add RPM. It will usually do this when hot. It doesn't groan when it's cold.

Last edited:
Back