• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ v8 draglink on XJ help

miketyson

NAXJA Forum User
i have done the zj v8 tie rod upgrade as well as a new drag link tie rod end at the pitman arm

my tie rod end at the pass knuckle (draglink) is also due for replacing and this tie rod end is the entire draglink (one piece, look under a factory xj if unclear). i am wondering if the zj drag link is an upgrade. The two parts have different part numbers MoogDS1238 is xj and MoogDS1310 is v8 zj. This leads me to believe the part is different and possibly stronger/upgrade.

I have searched extensively and found conflicting answers, some state: "part is the same except for steering damper angle" others state "part is 10-25% thicker and direct fit" i am hoping to find that the part is a direct fit (i would like to reuse my ome damper) and is thicker so it is a significant upgrade.

for clarification 4.0 zj has different part # MoogDS1311. common sense leads me to believe that this means all the zj's do have a different damper angle (not sure if still usable on xj) but the v8 zj is significantly thicker (or else why different parts for v8 and 4.0 in zj's)

i'm getting my information from online parts catalogs so it is alot different than handling both parts. Can anyone on here verify if you can reuse xj (OME) steering damper on zj drag link? can anyone verify if zj v8 is thicker than zj4.0?

fyi zj4.0 is cheapest and zjv8 is most expensive. xj price is right between

Yes the v8 tie rod is heavier than a 4.0 tie rod I have the napa #'s for the v8 tie rod 269-2788 269-1134 adj sleeve 269-6085 tie rod.

Yes the v8 tie rod is heavier than a 4.0 tie rod I have the napa #'s for the v8 tie rod 269-2788 269-1134 adj sleeve 269-6085 tie rod.

...did you even read my post? the tie rod is not what im asking about at all, i know this already and have done the mod if you actually read what i wrote. i am asking about the draglink which is composed of a long tre ds1238/1310, a short tre ds3096L and an adjuster sleeve; the question is about differences between draglink long tres 1238 and 1310. DRAG LINK NOT TIE ROD.

post #47
Yes it (DS1238) will be an upgrade for a 84-90 xj. The DS1238 is from a 91-01 XJ. Just a side note a (not on my list) DS1311 is for a v6 grand from 93-98, and a DS1310 is from a v8 grand from 93-98. The only diff I can see in the DS1311, DS1310 from the DS1238 is a slight bend(not much) at the sleeve end on the DS1311 and DS1310 and they are about 3/4" longer at the sleeve end then the DS1238 is. The distances between the TRE and the first hole(were the DS1312 mounts in) and from the first hole to the stabilizer hole are identicle on all three pieces. enjoy

after reading that whole thread i noticed several more conflicting posts by people claiming size differences, but yours here seems to shed some light. am i correct to assume that you have handled both ds1310 as well as ds1238? these are the two parts i am deciding between and if the only difference is the bend on sleeve end and not thickness then why are there two different parts for 4.0 and v8 in the zj? (1310 v8 and 1311 4.0, if thickness is equal and bends are the same)?

thanks

Last edited:
Yes you can reuse the XJ steering damper on the ZJ drag link. Depending on the year of your XJ the v8 ZJ draglink would be identical to the XJ draglink.

ok i just did this bout a month ago

yes the v8zj draglink will bolt up no problem and i do believe it has a slightly different angle then the 4.0xj DL making it a differnt part # i lucked out and found a mint(rear end caved in) 97zj TR ends were like new as were the draglink and just go out and buy an aftermarket steering stabilizer they are cheap enough ($60) and WAY more heavy duty then the stock stabilizer

keep in mind if your buying brand new it could be pricey i payed $100 for DL ,TR an ZJ pitman arm at the wrecker plus $60 for stabilizer and steering is much more responsive and i dont have to worry anymore bout if its gunna fold when one of them stumps or rocks pop outta nowhere:eyes:

Back