• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHAT WELDER TO GET????

XJ LUKE

NAXJA Forum User
O.K, I have more welding to do on my XJ project, and I've decided that buying a welder is probably best for all the custom work I'm doing. What do I get? I need a welder that can weld sheet metal all the way up to welding on my cage and axles. My brother-in-law can weld anything using any type of welder, as he has a technical degree in it, but he has problems understanding the english welding terms for what kind of welder I need (he's from Italy). I want a professional looking weld, but I don't want to spend 4 g's on a welder either.... What do I need?

do you have 220 where you will be welding?

I'm going to be welding in the garage of my Denver suburb home. From the research I've been doing so far, it looks like I'll be spendig around 1500.00 or so for a good MIG welder.

Go to toolking.com they sell refurbed welders. Should keep you way south of that 1500 mark

X2. Buy the best 220V welder you can afford.
I love my Millermatic 180, wouldn't have any other welder other than maybe bigger Millermatic. ;)

I love my Miller 180 too. Works well for pretty much anything you would need to do on a Jeep.

A friend of mine has a 251 and it works awesome, but it was a good chunk of change more then my 180.

Buy the biggest one you can afford. I started out with a Lincoln sp175, used it for a few years. In the mean time I got an old Millermatic 35(built in '78), spent about 200 bucks in parts and got that one up and running. Both of those are 220v, and I like the old miller alot better. I also have a snap-on MM140sl with the tig option. That welder is 110v, and has a 100% duty cycle. It's a nice welder, but a little high priced for what it is.

Justin

For thinner stuff I prefer Tig, thicker stuff over 1/2", Mig. Can find some stuff on Ebay, I got my Miller CST250 for 500 off ebay but I will be spending about 1k in Tig stuff to get it working. Also has a stick feature so I can get the thicker stuff. I'll get a Mig later.

It's not one of the big name brands, but I bought a Clarke 180en 220V Mig. I've been happy with it (built a tire carrier, rocker guards, building axles with it now...)

XJ Luke, you're welcome to swing by and check it out, I live in Sunnyside (just north of Downtown).

I know you get what you pay for, but I don't use it to weld for a living so I figure it's good enough for me. The miller 180 is about $300 more and has a better duty cycle (20% vs 30%) The Clarke is rated at 1/4" and the Miller 5/16". At just under $500 with the regulator it was justifiable enough to get my wife to buy into it. I've been using it off and on for a couple years with no problems.

Here's where I got mine form: http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/WE6524P-1.html

If you can afford a big Miller, go for it. I loved using a buddy's big Miller. I don't know which model it was, but it's the full height rolling one with digital displays. That's a nice welder! (but way out of my price range)

I have a Miller 252. Lots of bling but I will never say "If I could just get it to go a little hotter." Buy the biggest you can afford and stay American built.

So ROKRWLR you still got your Clarke 180en? I'm thinking about getting one from ebay. How's it been working for you all these years, would you buy one again? I did a little research and I guess the company went bankrupt in 09, so certain parts might be little difficult but there are a few places that sell some of the consumables.

It's not one of the big name brands, but I bought a Clarke 180en 220V Mig. I've been happy with it (built a tire carrier, rocker guards, building axles with it now...)

XJ Luke, you're welcome to swing by and check it out, I live in Sunnyside (just north of Downtown).

I know you get what you pay for, but I don't use it to weld for a living so I figure it's good enough for me. The miller 180 is about $300 more and has a better duty cycle (20% vs 30%) The Clarke is rated at 1/4" and the Miller 5/16". At just under $500 with the regulator it was justifiable enough to get my wife to buy into it. I've been using it off and on for a couple years with no problems.

Here's where I got mine form: http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/WE6524P-1.html

If you can afford a big Miller, go for it. I loved using a buddy's big Miller. I don't know which model it was, but it's the full height rolling one with digital displays. That's a nice welder! (but way out of my price range)

I have a stick 220v Miller unit for the frame and serious penetration needs and looking to buy a Lincoln mig. Probably going to go with 140 or 180 unit. I sure would like to be able to take anywhere and weld so the 110v is kind of on my list at this point.

I have a Miller 180 autoset. Nice unit. Picked it up for $795. Miller has a 211 autoset that is dual voltage and welds 3/8" one pass that I could've got for $977.

I've had my eye on that MM211 for quite some time now. The dual voltage combined with its portability is a great combination. Think I'm going to pull the trigger next time Miller has a promotion going. Unless I come across a killer deal on a gently used MM251 before then...

I've had my eye on that MM211 for quite some time now. The dual voltage combined with its portability is a great combination. Think I'm going to pull the trigger next time Miller has a promotion going. Unless I come across a killer deal on a gently used MM251 before then...

My 211 has done everything I've asked and then some.

I've welded everything from sheetmetal to 3/4" plate with it.

I've yet to hit the duty cycle.

how was penetration on the 3/4" plate?

I've got "a real man's welder" on the list of things I need to buy when I finish the house... fortunately dual voltage and such will no longer be major worries, 240 all the way.

I got a big ass Miller 210 brand new about 6 months ago and it is flippin' sweet.

Back