• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case skid install help

RTownsend

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to install a factory skid and need to know what you guys have done to get a nut in the rear hole on the frame rail. I assume that I need a Nutsert, If so can I get them local from Home Depot, Lowes, Advance, or Autozone?

Does anyone know what size bolt was used at the factory? 8 mm.?

You can find at some machine supply stores something like the nutzerts, except instead of a pre-mounted stud, they set flush and you need a special insert tool to mount them.

The nice thing about those, is that you can flush mount the fasteners. I like using the round head cap screws the best. Be sure to use anti-sieze on the threads in case you want to remove it later on without a bunch of problems.

Tom Dennis

The threadserts are available from the dealer ... at some ridiculous price. What I did was buy ONE from the dealer, then take it to The Nutty Company to match it up. The barrel is 1/2" OD, and IIRC the thread is 5/16" ... not metric, in any case.

I don't know if Home Despot or Lowe's has them. JC Whitney does.

Eagle said:
The threadserts are available from the dealer ... at some ridiculous price. What I did was buy ONE from the dealer, then take it to The Nutty Company to match it up. The barrel is 1/2" OD, and IIRC the thread is 5/16" ... not metric, in any case.

I don't know if Home Despot or Lowe's has them. JC Whitney does.

Eagle--how did you set them? Don't you need some sort of tool to upset the shank of the nutsert to swage it into the hole? Just curious.....

When I bought them at The Nutty Company, they also sold me an installer kit. Basically, it's a socket-head cap screw of the required thread, a couple of washers, and an allen wrench. Put some lube between the washers so they'll slide on each other (I used anti-sieze), press the 'cert into the hole, thread in the cap screw and start tightening.

Thanks guys

I know of a place that might have them in town and now that I know what I need I can go check.

If not I saw that McMaster Carr has them and will probably order from them.

Anthropy said:
Also, check with your local Fastenal palce, they may be able to order them for you.

:) :D :)

You say that as though everyone has a local Fastenal place. Who are they ... I never heard of them. I assume that's a specialty fastener company, like The Nutty Company where I get my hard-to-find stuff?

Sorry Eagle,

I have found them most every place I travel to for work. They are a national chain that specializes in fasteners of all kinds. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it. However, I don't know how far their market it. My Bad.

Tom Dennis

edit: A quick search for Fastenall found this one in Gainsville and the others for CT. I don't know what of the others is closest to you Eagle, but they are a good company to deal with.

http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/search/default.asp

Fastenal Co.
2490 Hilton Drive, Suite B
Gainesville, GA 30501
Phone: (770) 534-3220
FAX: (770) 534-7338

Fastenalls in CT

3389 Fairfield Ave.
Bridgeport CT 06605
203-334-4755
203-334-4759 fax

10 Federal Rd.
Danbury CT 06810
203-792-2898
203-792-2899 fax

42 Nelson St.
E. Hartford CT 06108
860-528-8660
860-528-9770 fax

230 Woodmont Rd.
Milford CT 06460
203-882-9069
203-882-9042 fax

80 Production Ct Unit D
New Britain CT 06051
860-225-3108
860-225-3148 fax

360 Farfield Ave.
Stamford CT 06902
203-359-4186
203-359-4287 fax

391 Goshen Rd.
Torrington CT 06790
860-626-8600
860-496-8903 fax

20 S. Commons Rd.
Waterbury CT 06704
203-756-2234
203-756-2944 fax

82 Boston Post Rd.
Waterford CT 06385
860-447-3010
860-447-2734 fax

Last edited:
Waterbury's close. Hmmm ... competition for The Nutty Company. That's two sources for odd fasteners. Good deal.

Thanks.

Eagle said:
Waterbury's close. Hmmm ... competition for The Nutty Company. That's two sources for odd fasteners. Good deal.

Thanks.
There is one on woodmont road in milford too! even closer to derby!

fastenal co

I manage a fastenal branch in Oklahoma....If you guys ever need info just let me know. On those nut certs make sure you get one that is made for the thickness of the material you are installing it into. If not it wont grab on hard enough to set.

I used four 14g selftappers in a pinch (basically sheetmetal screws). I thought I would rip the skid off the first time I went out, but the skid got wailed on, the tranny xmember got bent up, but the bolts held just fine. Big self tapping bolts would be better, but im surprised and satisfied at the way the screws are holding

Antrophy/Eagle

Do you know what size inserts you need for the frame rail and cross member?

dont bother using the thread inserts ,my factory skid plate had one holding it in place . one good whack on somthing and it came loose . i drilled out 2 new holes and put in 2 self tapping bolts . i have a custom made transfer case drop and to go along with it i had to make a skid plate drop too.

Back