• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start

nickjc13

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]i pulled on a hill today to try to flex out my rear end to measure for my shocks and i got all the way with my tire still on the street so i went to back in the driveay and i got out and it was sitting there for about 3 minutes and all of a sudden it died. now it will not start. i pulled the line from the fuel filter turned the key and gas shot out so i dont thinks its the fuel pump. does anyone have any suggestions?[/FONT] [/FONT]

anyone have any ideas at all and i dont know if this has anything to do with it but yesterday when i cranked it the was a noise that sounded like it was comming from the transmission like something was spinning and hitting or something but after about five seconds it was gone and it did that one time today for about 3 seconds.

Does it have fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Does it have spark? Those are the first items to check. Then check your CPS, check your relays under the hood. Is your fuel pump priming when you turn the key to on?

Helps to have the year of your XJ and engine. Start by testing your CPS. Without this base reference signal to your computer, your XJ will have neither fuel (to injectors) or spark.

CPS TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (A-B-C looking into connector left to right with the part with the notch in the middle on the right) Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

CPS TESTING PROCECURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1

Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.

Test # 2

You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.

Back