• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Support

dptrahan

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking around for a Cherokee for a build. I know that with the lack of a true frame many people don't like the Cherokee. I am curious as to how much truth there is with Cherokees not holding up to off road.

I'm not looking to get into the heavy rock crawling. More along the lines of a rig to go explore the outdoors with the wife (Quality Time!!) and do some trail riding in Ozarks.

What years are better/worse for starting out?

I'm looking at a 1990 XJ Wagoneer but want to know exactly what I am getting into.

Thanks,

Daniel

Quote: I'm looking around for a Cherokee for a build. I know that with the lack of a true frame many people don't like the Cherokee. I am curious as to how much truth there is with Cherokees not holding up to off road.

Maybe you should hang out here more and find out how tough the XJ really is.

Ok, let me clarify myself. I have NOT heard that from on here. If I did, I won't name any names. :)

Most of the people around here run CJs and YJs, so of course there is some bias in their statements. That is why I posted my question on here instead of elsewhere.

I want a Cherokee, just don't know exactly what year and style?
Thanks,

Daniel

Last edited:
If you're afraid of the frame bending or twisting the frame, there's a lot you can do to stiffen it up and brace it... just do a search for frame stiffening, or ask if you can't find anything that suits you.

I can tell you though, my 93Cherokee has 471 000kms on it. A lot has been highway kms but I drove that thing pretty hard too offroad when I was younger and there's been no issues with the frame yet.

Back