• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Leaf Springs to Compliment 3.5" Tough Country EZ-Ride Suspension Lift?

JTrue1

NAXJA Forum User
The current lift I have utilizes the stock leaf springs and 3 inch rear blocks. When the rig is loaded up with 4 mountain bikes on a Thule T2 hitch rack and 4 people with gear the rear end is sagging quite a bit. I have been told that the RE 3.5" leaf springs actually give a lift of about 4.5" which would be a bit too much. Which leaf springs will give me an actual 3" to 3.5" lift and allow me to carry a good amount of gear without sagging too low? Would the 2" OME Heavy Duty leaf springs do the trick? Thanks.

Jason

You can put together something a little more affordable and get the lift you want. I'd take a short add-a-leaf, boomerang shackle and add an extra stock main leaf with the eyes cut off. I've run it for 4 yrs and it rides good and gets the amount of lift you're looking for.

You can also call Deaver or Alcan with your weight carrying specs and measurments and they'll hook you up.

Well if you get the RE leafs then after you load down you'll be around 3" of lift.

~Scott

P.S. Any pics of the bikes? I ride an '07 Enduro with a DHX 5, Talas RC2, and deemax's.

n70605699_31452355_7412.jpg

Three of the bikes are my buddies on the rack, I have a Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0, soon to be replaced by an Intense Tracer or 6.6. I also have a fully rigid Haro Marry SS 29er single speed that is really fun to ride. Not sure if it is possible, but I would like something that is around 3"-3.5" and will sag minimally when under a heavier load. In reality I am not going to have this much gear most of the time. I rarley have the 2 bike add-on attached to the rack unless I am going on a road trip. But in the case that I do want to load the Jeep up I want to be able to be able to drive comfortably on rougher terrain without worrying about my tires bouncing off my fenders, while getting to a campsite.

Last edited:
n70605699_31452355_7412.jpg

Three of the bikes are my buddies on the rack, I have a Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0, soon to be replaced by an Intense Tracer or 6.6. I also have a fully rigid Haro Marry SS 29er single speed that is really fun to ride. Not sure if it is possible, but I would like something that is around 3"-3.5" and will sag minimally when under a heavier load. In reality I am not going to have this much gear most of the time. I rarley have the 2 bike add-on attached to the rack unless I am going on a road trip. But in the case that I do want to load the Jeep up I want to be able to be able to drive comfortably on rougher terrain without worrying about my tires bouncing off my fenders, while getting to a campsite.

Nice.
Well I think you just found yourself in a tight spot. I can tell you right now you'll have to make some sacrafices to get what you want...90% chance. Hopefully someone will chime in with a little more help. But my only other recommendation would be to make a bastard pack, search it, there's lots of info on the subject.

~Scott

A few over at Jeepforums have said that 2" Heavy Duty OME leaf springs have given them about 3.25" of lift and have minimal sag with a heavy load. Does anyone else have any advice when it comes to which leaf springs to purchase?

I agree a bastard pack would work well for your needs. I have ran several of these, and they have all served me well. Just search for bastard pack, you'll find a lot of info.
You could also go the OME route, and add a lift shackle if it isn't high enough.
Either way you're on the right track by getting rid of the blocks!

I agree a bastard pack would work well for your needs. I have ran several of these, and they have all served me well. Just search for bastard pack, you'll find a lot of info.
You could also go the OME route, and add a lift shackle if it isn't high enough.
Either way you're on the right track by getting rid of the blocks!

How easy are these to build up? All my air tools are back in NY. I am in Utah right now. Thanks.

How easy are these to build up? All my air tools are back in NY. I am in Utah right now. Thanks.

They are pretty easy, and you don't even have to remove the main leaf from the Jeep. I have done it many times without air, and it only takes me about an hour or two, depending on condition of the parts.
Just keep in mind you may have to do it a couple times, and mix and match leaves, to get it right where you want it.
Also, remember to keep the leaves in order, and cutting may be required to space them evenly. A cutoff wheel works just fine.
It's also a good idea to use spring liners, or at least clean and paint the leaves before you assemble the pack.
The extra time involved here will really pay off in the end. Proper spacing will not only help with a smooth ride and good flex. It will also extend the life of the springs vs. just slapping it all together. Oh, and don't forget spring clips.

This thread is pretty much known to be THE bastard pack thread, and should answer any questions you may have: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083
The pics don't show on the first page, but I think it was reposted later in the thread.

Back