• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked APN

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive had some noisy exhaust issues the last few months and attributed it to an assumed failing intake/exhaust manifold gasket. I pulled it all apart to replace the gasket and to my surprise, found that my header had a ~2 inch crack that ran down one of the welds toward the bottom end of the manifold. Ive only had it on since january of this year. In calling them yesterday to see if I could get it warrantied, they were very helpful and said it would be no problem to replace it. I did however, have to buy a new one for them to send it out before they got my old one back. When I get the new one and replace the old one, they said to send it in and they will refund the purchase price of the replacement upon receipt of the defective unit.

I guess the point of this post is to say that Auo Parts Network stands behind their products and is happy to help with any issues.

My gas mileage has been in the 9's with strictly arond town driving. Im hoping that repairing such a substantial manifold leak will help remedy my gas gulping issues.

I guess I should update. I got the replacement APN with no issues. As soon as they got the cracked one in the mail, they refunded my money. They were great to deal with.

My gas mileage has been in the 9's with strictly arond town driving. Im hoping that repairing such a substantial manifold leak will help remedy my gas gulping issues.

Did the new header solve your mileage issue?

Yeah I would take a look at your motor mounts. I have an APN sitting in my garage right now but I'm waiting for my Brown Dogs to get here before I even think about putting it in. It's awesome that they replace it no questions asked but I would rather not have to go through the hassle of pulling them off and having to putting headers back on again.

Nice to hear. I've had an APN on my '96XJ for about 2 years now. I'm running MORE Motor Mounts, but those have only been on for about 5 months... so I'm going to double check my APN again when the weather warms just to make sure it's still in good shape.

How are/were your motor mounts?

i run the APN header and Brown Dog motor mounts and very happy with them. i get a little bit of vibes when i'm in park or at a light, but i expected that with the poly bushings. It's a good idea to check the tranny mount as well. i replaced mine with one from the dealership. i bought some chinese motor mounts from NAPA that lasted less than 6 months, then i got the brown dogs when i replaced my tranny mount and header. i didn't want a cheapo chinese tranny mount that would fail.

My mileage has been all over the place, up to 15 and now down to 6 something, So I cant say whether the new header did much to alleviate the issue.

Motor mounts looked great but sometimes its hard to tell. Im planning on making some beefy ones that use control arm bushings pretty soon. I am also considering adding a flex pipe somewhere after the header to try and isolate pressure from the rest of the exhaust.

Back