• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running Protofab front bumper?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I searched...

Is anyone running the Protofab front winch bumper? I know Intrepid is and his has the brush guard, but is anyone else?

The bumper:
http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=27

They dont have d ring mounts but they are optional, anyone gone with the mounts instead of using tow hooks? Looks like a nice bumper. It says it uses the tow hook mounting system, would that be sufficient for winching?

I would like to sink lights into it like this one and add my own hoop:

Anyone know who's this is?

Thanks- MG

Running this same bumper and like it so far, it just needs a winch. The good thing about it coming bare is that you can add tube work or cutout holes before you coat it.

both me and my father have a protofab, and they are awesome. mounting is good, they have an bracket that goes way back on the frame. i have winched a lot with no issue whatsoever. hell i even took a hefty sized whitetail deer with it and took zero damage... it pretty much payed for itself in that one incident. i have the tube one, and my old man has the solid one and the workmanship is really really good. i do not have experience with the drings tho... i only have the towhooks, but i have used them quite successfully.

EDIT: just some added info. the solid faced one sits around 2 or so inches closer to the front than the tubular... just something to think about, i dont currently have pics of the mounting set up, but i might be able to work something out in the morning

Last edited:
Sounds good, the fact that they can take a deer well is definitely a plus. Do you just have the tow hook bolted in with 2 or 3 grade 8 bolts? I think as soon as I have the money I will be going with the protofab plate bumper, not so much a fan of the tubular prerunner bumpers they sell. Thanks DG...

Heres a couple

DSC00751.jpg

Heres a shot of the braces that run down the framerail for support (dont mind the notch in mine..i have a MORE steering brace)
DSC00902.jpg

Heres a shot with my tow hook location
Waggyfront2.jpg

And a profile shot with the bumper
Waggyfront.jpg

Dont mind the color fading on mine...i have to get it powdercoated so it says the color it supposed to LOL

i have just 2 grade 8 bolts on my hooks. yeah the plate one is pretty sexy.

Looks puuurtttty, love mj with the waggy clip as well. Its definitely a good looking bumper. Is that the MORE bracket that goes from the steering box to the opposite frame? If it is, my bumper will have the same notch haha. Thanks Offroader and DG!

Yea that is the MORE brace...you have to notch it b/c that hole is 1/2 covered by the frame braces that come with the bumper..wasnt a real big deal to me...if i messed up the brace i know Mike (owner of Protofab) personally and he said he would give me a new one :)

so you know the owner?? get any discounts... haha jk. Im getting gears shortly and have to get them installed so once that is paid for I will probably go with some sliders and the bumper, we'll see how long that takes due to the no job situation!

I have F and R bumpers as well as their rock rails. Everything is hella stout. I have landed on all of it at one time or another and it has held up. I had the clevis mounts added front and rear and mounted some large PIAA's in the tow hook mount. I had everything powdercoated to start out and if I were to do it again I would primer and paint for easier touch up. If you do powder coat have teflon added.

There are mutiple pics of it in a Moab thread in the NW section. It's the camo one.

I had PF install and I would pay the extra $$$ and have them do it. Go to a farm supply house and get larger clevis' to install. Call Mike Wiley at Protofab and talk with him about it he's a good guy. Sometimes they have to call you back because they're a small shop.

I doubt he would remember me but tell him Karl with the diesel drag pickup sent you.

Thom/tcharon sent me a few pictures of his bumper. Amazing Jeep and the customized Protofab bumper is awesome:

LosLobos, I really like the bumper with the d ring tabs, looks great as well.

Back