• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case HEAT? 231

agent98

NAXJA Forum User
My transfer case gets so hot that putting a finger on it for more than a second is painful. My transmission hump heats up the interior. It has fluid. It has a Terra flex SYE that I didn't install. This can't be normal. What is going on?

How long ago did you install the SYE kit?

Uh oh........ I wonder if the pickup tube came out of the gear pump when then SYE was installed.

Uh oh........ I wonder if the pickup tube came out of the gear pump when then SYE was installed.

Thats what I was thinking,also not getting the pump splines engaged!

could be that... or have you checked the fluid recently? is it shiny?

if the pickup tube came out, it is possible to get it back into it's place without taking the whole case apart. when i installed my SYE i sealed the rear case half back on without seating the pickup tube and rather than unsealing it and redoing all my work, i just used a small screwdriver as a pick to shove it in. the bad news is you still have to remove the output housing. HTH, good luck.

Did you think about the catalytic convertor and exhaust running right next to it? That is where the heat comes from on the inside and if I were to guess I would suspect it heats up the TC also.

Back