• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping an '86 2.8 for an '87 2.5

Kman1983

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to NAXJA but not new to Jeeps. My wife and I have 9 Jeeps between us(O.K. 10 because I haven't told her about the '46 CJ2A yet). We have a 1986 XJ with a real nice body that has a real sick carbed 2.8 V6(auto) in it. We have been offered a FREE 1987 Comanche 2wd with the injected 2.5 and a 5speed. What I'd like to do is swap in the 2.5 and standard tranny. It seems like it should be a bolt in swap(assuming I'll have to use a YJ AX5) but I'm worried about the wiring. What do I need to do with the wiring swap? Can I just unbolt and rebolt at the bulkhead connector? Wgat about dash wiring,check engine light stuff? The clutch linkage should swap over and I can eliminate the nuetral safety switch. I believe it is the 228 transfer case, it isn't a slip yoke style case. Also is the MJ tranny a version of the AX5 and can parts be swapped? The MJ doesn't have power steering but I don't forsee that as a problem. Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

Back